<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aldi Compressor and Air Tools
gingerprince

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Aldi Compressor and Air Tools

From this Sunday...

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week11Sunday10.htm

(worth noting that I believe that the company that make Powercraft tools went into administration so you might have trouble if the tools need repair/replacing).

Incidentally, how would such a compressor teamed with a cheap gravity gun and presumably the filter/regulator would be required(?) compare with something like the Apollo Spraymate HVLP for spraying small items (wings, bonnet etc) for a novice?

Spraymate is about 90 quid off ebay, this would be 80 for compressor plus 18 for filter/reg plus say another 10 or so for cheap gun, so still within the ballpark of the HVLP but usable with other tools.

imp paul

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
nice 1 some good bits and bobs very cheap and locost
MikeR

posted on 12/3/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
i now have all the tools - how sad is that.

I can strongly recommend the air sheers. I've been cutting 1.2mm steel with them and its fantastic.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 12/3/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've got two of their compressors linked together for double the capacity and double the power. I've also got loads of their air tools, they're so cheap it seemed stupid not to. The air drill is particularly handy as it is so compact but I also use the air ratchet and air saw very regularly. I think I'll be dropping by 1st thing sunday for their shear, cut off tool and filter/lubricator! Thanks for the heads up!!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

mads

posted on 12/3/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
(worth noting that I believe that the company that make Powercraft tools went into administration so you might have trouble if the tools need repair/replacing).

yep - its true. I found the following info re: warranty etc

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1845735

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
re spraying, never tried HVLP apollo stuff. But I reckon that compressor, plus a cheapish ebay gun http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVERLINE-GRAVITY-FEED-SPRAY-GUN-12-94-DELIVERED_W0QQitemZ350255426442QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item5 18cd9ab8a (I have a very similar one, did a great job on a whole car respray) Plus a decent length hose, and get an extra water trap that fits on the gun. The compressor should have a regulator fitted, so you don't need the extra one. Any air tools I use I just squirt a bit of oil in each time they are used.
And get a load of quick-fit connectors, worth their weight in gold!
Yes, a bit more expensive than the apollo, but well worth it.

scudderfish

posted on 12/3/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need the Air Filter Regulator & Lubricator?
Mr G

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
This was £59 in 2007, £69 in 2008, £82 in 2009.

You would of at least got a 3 year warranty in 2007

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

fatfranky

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I know the Aldi ad doesn't say so, but previously this compressor came complete with a kit of tools (2 spray guns, airbrush, parrafin gun, tyre inflater, blower & 2 air lines.

Pretty basic quality wise but useful to get you started, it might be worth going to Aldi on sunday and seeing if they are included.

Regards

Frank

Mr G

posted on 12/3/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky
I know the Aldi ad doesn't say so, but previously this compressor came complete with a kit of tools (2 spray guns, airbrush, parrafin gun, tyre inflater, blower & 2 air lines.

Pretty basic quality wise but useful to get you started, it might be worth going to Aldi on sunday and seeing if they are included.

Regards

Frank

HERE is the 2008 link that lists the accessories

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
When a compresor and air tools are bundled together at a low price the spray gun's nozzle is rarely sized to the comprossors free air delivery --- the nozzles are always far too big.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

karlak

posted on 12/3/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
So do we collectively think this is a good buy then ? Would you also need/recommend the Air Filter Regulator & Lubricator bits.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

scudderfish

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Well I'm going off to get one this morning. It doesn't matter if it was a better bargain in the past, it's still a worthwhile buy to me today.
coozer

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have one from last years offer... plus I bought all the tools, got some of them in the bargian basement bit later on and all I can say is the tools are very good BUT, the compressor runs out of puff very quickly. It will not power the rachet, the saw only runs a few seconds and IMO its only any good at A) blowing up tyres, & B) blowing away stuff from the lathe.

When times and needs arise I will be buying a bigger, quieter model. Or if in the cheap section in few weeks another one to piggy back

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeR

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
wot he said!

(although i already do have a 1.5hp one from years ago, i keep planning on linking them up in parallel - just never got round to it).

splitrivet

posted on 14/3/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
As coozer says dont think this compressor will run the tools on offer it wont, well it will for a few minutes then run out of puff. In saying that Ive had one from the first offer and used it loads but it is very noisy, noisier than my big 14cfm compressor.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 14/3/10 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

andrew.carwithen

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
bought one of these in 2008 when they came complete with spray gun etc.
Used it to paint my Avon in the garage with celulose. Considering it was the first time I had tried spraying and the cheap quality of the gun, I was very pleased with the results. (OK, if I'm being hyper critical, on close inspection, there's a little orangepeel in one or two places but it looks 100 times better than the original scratched BRG gelcoat)

mads

posted on 14/3/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
out of curiousity, how would you combine the two to provide more power? considering getting one today to do this.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

scudderfish

posted on 14/3/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Feel a little swizzed, you don't even get an air hose with it so I now have a compressor and tools, but no way to actually use them!
karlak

posted on 14/3/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Feel a little swizzed, you don't even get an air hose with it so I now have a compressor and tools, but no way to actually use them!

Yep, A tad disappointing . Would have been nice to have the added bits they did in previous deals

I also bought the Air Filter Regulator & Lubricator which has 10 metres of hose for £18, which seemed like the right thing to do ?

scudderfish

posted on 14/3/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
I also bought the Air Filter Regulator & Lubricator which has 10 metres of hose for £18, which seemed like the right thing to do ?

Check your receipt. I went back for one of those, and they tried to charge me £19.56, whilst I was stood under a poster proclaiming £17.99.

karlak

posted on 14/3/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by karlak

Check your receipt. I went back for one of those, and they tried to charge me £19.56, whilst I was stood under a poster proclaiming £17.99.

Cheers, just checked and it is OK

Peteff

posted on 14/3/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I fetched the metal shear but I have to fit a PCL fitting to use it with my air line. It says on the box for use with the power whatsit compressor, will it work with my SIP ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stuart_B

posted on 14/3/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
hi all, i got one off these compressor in 2008, with all the bits, went the today got enough compressor, air shears and enough drill so both me and my dad can have a drill.

took both the air compressor apart, and begin to mount them on to a 150lt tank.

so that should help on air power.

i went to machine mart aftetwards and got 30meters of rubber hose, it is lots better than the rubbish they use to give you. i have 30 meters off the plastic hose which will only be used if i need to get to the top of my drive.

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

karlak

posted on 14/3/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what the quick release couplings that this comes with are called, the technical term.... ?

Are they just known as Quick release ??

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.