Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi, glad i found you, need help with chassis.
ben lambert

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, glad i found you, need help with chassis.

Hi, just joined the site, so a big hello to you all.

My wife is now frowning quite aggressively over my bike habit. As we've just had our first child life changes (slightly) and four wheels seem to her safer than two, so i'm going with it as i've always wanted to build my own car..

Through my very limited or should i say nil experience in this field, creating my own chassis really worries me, the rest i can cope with slowly. From what i have read, the book plans aren't really worth following now a days and I need to get this part 100% correct if everything else is going to go to plan.

Right to what i'd like car wise, Caterham style with honda vtec in..... would love to horn a S2000 F20C in, but common sense tells me an accord motor would be more sensible. Has anyone any views on this and what i could pop in?
And yes.... I'm going to be groveling for chassis plans.. Hopefully someone can set my build of to a solid start.

My wife.... She say YES!!! so i shall create

eddie99

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.
Contact Mk if you want to put a s2000 engine in. They have recently done one i believe.
Regards
Ed

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
you've come to the right place - welcome.

For chassis plans there are a few books covering the subject in various levels of detail. For a complete begineer i'd seriously reconmend "Build your own Sports Car on a budget" by Chris Gibbs.

(there is a similar titled ron champion book - its not as in depth as the chris gibbs one).

The s2000 motor has been done but i'd recommend a zetec. Easy 150hp, and easy build in comparison. Lots of people will be along soon to give advice and recommendations. Many will recommend a bike engine - especially with your bike background.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
MNR have done an S2000 as well.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Why not buy the chassis and work from there up, lots of manufacturers offer starter kits with chassis and bodywork.

MK Sportscars and MNR are located in Yorkshire, MNR are closest in Harrogate

kj

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.

you could always try saturn sports cars by contacting Handy andy on here or the haynes site.
He can supply pre-cut chassis or saturn sports cars can sell you everything you need, chassis,bodywork etc.
They are based in Hartlepool so not that far from you and are open saturdays.
I think some one on here was selling a chassis, might be worth a check

eznfrank

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
In terms of the engine choice the S2000 would probably be easier than an accord as it's been done before and is already RWD. But really it depends on what you want out of the car, being a reformed biker I would have thought you'd be straight down the bike engine route.

Oh, and nice to see another local-ish face on here!

Ez

Hellfire

posted on 12/3/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad house.

Stick a bike engine in it

Phil

[Edited on 12-3-10 by Hellfire]

jack_t

posted on 12/3/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
mk is s2000 supercharged now sounds Awsome

omega0684

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Im aware of 2 DAX Owners that have s2000 powered cars and yes they sound awesome!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
"Stick a bike engine in it "

Yes, but at the rear end, not the front!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
sebastiaan

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis plans

Hi!

If you intend to go "old skool" (i.e. live rear axle), you could do a lot worse than having a look at the McSorley plans here: http://mcsorley.net/locost/

But you would need to own "the bible" (because, well, you just need to ;-)). The Chris Gibbs book is also a good one, and maybe (probably) better than "the bible".

Or you could chicken out and buy a kit. That's what I did

skinned knuckles

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building the haynes car and am nearing the end of the major welding bit. i know that loads of people buy a complated chassis but i was determined to do as much for myself as poss. so far the the chassis has cost me about 150 quid but has taken 3 months +.

you can pretty much stick anything into the chassis, one bloke has shoehorned the V10 from a viper into his so the lump from a S2000 will be easy enough.

any questions about the chassis build and you can U2U me.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

iank

posted on 12/3/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the Honda VTEC spin the opposite way to most other engines? This makes it a bit of a non-goer due to the lack of suitable rwd gearbox/diff.

If my memory is right then the S2000 will be a lot easier.

Alternatively you could go for a mid engined car. If you like the 7 style you might consider the Midlana being designed and built by kb58 with a Honda engine iirc.
His site is here http://www.midlana.com/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Canada EH!

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome; one of my brain cells tells me Honda car engines spin in the opposite direction from the rest of the known world therefore fitting a RWD transmission would be a problem.
daniel mason

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
i am building f20c mnr and am using engine,box,diff and clocks. the rest of the complete car i bought is gradually being sold to recoup some money! u2u me if you need more info!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Welcome; one of my brain cells tells me Honda car engines spin in the opposite direction from the rest of the known world therefore fitting a RWD transmission would be a problem.

s2000 is is one of the few that spins the right way

Dingz

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote

If this works! should be a very nice Luego belonging to a member on here, sorry I can't remember his name, with S2000 lump. Pictured at SG7s on sunday

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Dingz

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Luego Honda
Luego Honda

2nd attempt
Yippee

[Edited on 12/3/10 by Dingz]

[Edited on 12/3/10 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

daniel mason

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
rickys2000!
he has made a great job

ben lambert

posted on 13/3/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wow.. loads of info on there for me thank you everyone, I'll be following up on it all.

one thing that has side tracked me just now is the honda engine spinning the wrong way? is that the output spinning the wrong way, so that it'd do 120 backwards?

I must admit that i wont be building my own chassis, it'll be taking quite a pounding and i need to be able to trust it, my welding skills are not as yet trustworthy.

I've not really looked at bike engines, mainly because of the weight of the car and the lack of low rev grunt they would have with that weight. but in its self that my cause an argument... what i really mean is that if i popped and R1 motor in i'd always be disappointed with it because it wouldn't behave like it would in a bike.

iank

posted on 13/3/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ben lambert
Wow.. loads of info on there for me thank you everyone, I'll be following up on it all.

one thing that has side tracked me just now is the honda engine spinning the wrong way? is that the output spinning the wrong way, so that it'd do 120 backwards?

Well I doubt you'd get above 90 in reverse with the aero just before the gearbox or diff exploded, but yes

The S2000 engine runs the conventional way and comes pre bolted to a decent gearbox and diff.

quote:

I must admit that i wont be building my own chassis, it'll be taking quite a pounding and i need to be able to trust it, my welding skills are not as yet trustworthy.

I've not really looked at bike engines, mainly because of the weight of the car and the lack of low rev grunt they would have with that weight. but in its self that my cause an argument... what i really mean is that if i popped and R1 motor in i'd always be disappointed with it because it wouldn't behave like it would in a bike.

I think the best approach would be to get a ride in a powerful car engine'd car (CEC) and a BEC to see, the bike engined cars certainly aren't slow in any respect though you have to build light to get the best performance. A car with a bike engine won't accelerate as fast as the original bike off the line, but will be much faster through the corners than anything you've ever driven on the road.

The disadvantages of a BEC are really that they aren't as suitable for just going for a quiet drive as they aren't relaxing in any way.

[Edited on 13/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Hellfire

posted on 13/3/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you fancy a passenger ride in a BEC, give us a shout.........

Phil

MikeRJ

posted on 13/3/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ben lambert

Sadly yes, which is why you will find very few front engined, RWD installations using the older Honda engines. It can be bodged to work by running the gearbox backwards and turning the diff upside down, but it is a major bodge IMO.

ben lambert

posted on 14/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is all fantastic, thank you everyone. I really do need to think hard about a bike or car engine though, will have to blag a ride with some one at some point i guess.

anyone using a bike motor popped in the front? how have you driven the back?

I am cut between wanting a screamer and something that i can drive steady when the mood takes me, as is life!
shame i can't have two!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.