Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mortgages
westf27

posted on 12/3/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
mortgages

Daughter needs a first time mortgage.Anyone done this very recently and found a super deal.Had a quick look at deposits required,loan to value and interest rates...not encouraging.Come on you gotta help me here!!!!

daniel mason

posted on 12/3/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
i was a first time buyer about 3 years ago now but got a good deal with a 20% deposit. 2 years fixed at 4.5% i think i got over 25 years! that was with the abbey.
morcus

posted on 12/3/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Your gonna have a difficult time. I've been wanting to buy my first house for the last two years but noone will give you any money without big deposits (Most wanted 40%)

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

COREdevelopments

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the same boat. Me and the missus have got a good deposit and have had a mortage in principal, with the abbey but the house sale fell through (it was a repo and someone outbid us at the very last minute!) There was a few choices availabe but the abbey came out tops at the time, no valuation fee and cash back upon completion. Fixed for 2 years. Like said above you will need a good deposit to make it seem reasonable. Good luck and dont buy a repo!!

Atb

Rob

ashg

posted on 12/3/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
HSBC first time buyer. 10% deposit 5.99% interest fixed for two years.

quite a good interest rate for such a small deposit in the current climate.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Paradoxia0

posted on 12/3/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I got a cracking deal with HSBC for my first mortgage (a few years ago) but when my circumstances changed - the misses cleared off - HSBC wouldn't even entertain talking to me...

Got my second mortage through the Abbey and they have been nothing but helpful and to be a fair faultless!

I know this doesn't answer the great deals question, but maybe helps with customer service?

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

gazzarose

posted on 12/3/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Me and my gf bought our first house a year ago (moved in exactly 1 year ago today), tried looking for mortgages ourselves, but in the end went to a mortgage adviser recommended by a friend. They do it everyday and know whos got a good rate on any given day. Got a good rate, which changed a few times as well as change of bank, while we were waiting for things to go through, then only signed up at the last minute. We were buying as the BOE base rate was dropping so by waiting til last minute saved I think 2%. He charged us £50 (after being quote by another company £900 to sort the mortgage out this seemed like a bargain) and in 2 yrs when our fixed rate is over, he'll sort out a remortgage for free. I can't remember the details now, but it was 15% deposit of 95.5k, over 35 years was £440 a month. Bizzarly, if the base rate stays as it is, at the end of our 'introductory 2 year fixed rate deal thing' the monthly repayments will go down,lol.

Good luck with it all and I hope it goes smoother than ours. It about 4 months from viewing the house to getting the keys, load of ball ache stuff about different surveys.

Gareth

JoelP

posted on 13/3/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think a good broker, like a good accountant, pays for himself. Sadly, i think my old broker has retired!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 13/3/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
As above - find a good mortgage advisor and let them use their daily updated software and knowledge to find the best deal given the circumstances. They get commission generally and so its no dearer than going direct to the provider.

PS i used to do mortgages myself and cant understand the people who wont use a broker to save them time and money. Seen too many people take the wrong product because they were too tight (in their head) to pay a professional and cost themselves hundreds of pounds in extra interest for the privilege. The best deal last week (or even yesterday) isnt the best for someone else - mortgages arent just about the lowest perceived interest rate.

40inches

posted on 13/3/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Go HERE

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.