Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW engine problems (overheating...)
Sprytny

posted on 23/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
BMW engine problems (overheating...)

A friend of mine has a BMW 3-series (2.5 ci). The car initially had a faulty fan; this meant that it did not actuate when the engine was becoming very warm. The engine therefore overheated.

Upon replacing the fan (an aftermarket replacement was used), the fan worked for a around 1 week when it then failed again.

Is this a known problem on this car, and is there a known cause for this problem.

I am thinking along the lines of relay, wiring or thermoswitch causing this fault. What would be the most likely reason why the fan keeps failing and how can it be tested?

It should be noted that the expansion tank has split letting the coolant out. I am not sure if this related, but the overheating probably caused the expansion tank to split with the over-hot coolant.

Please let me know what people think this might point to.

locostbuyer83

posted on 23/3/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
If the tank is split you need to replace it. Dont want your coolant running out as it'll lead to even more problems

Is the fan coupling working properly?
These go quite often and will cause overheating issues...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Viscous-cooling-rad-fan-coupling-BMW-3-5-7-series_W0QQitemZ250471975857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM? hash=item3a514b0bb1

Sprytny

posted on 23/3/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Yes, I was thinking this was a well known problem. It is strange though that the fan has failed twice now.
britishtrident

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
The reason the the expansion tank split is likely to be because the pressure relief valve in the filler cap is stuck and over pressurised the tank.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Sprytny

posted on 27/3/10 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
fixed...

The thermostat was changed, the radiator exchanged and all seems to be well. Amazing what a faulty thermostat can do!!!
Chris_

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
????????

The fan is controlled by an output from the ECU. Which takes it's temperature readings from a temperature sensor on the thermostat housing (depending on model, probably the brown one, the blue is for the instrument cluster)

It would be good to know the details of the overheating (and the vehicle) ie, how hot, how long, what conditions (motorway, traffic etc)

M20's have a tendancy to crack. M50's warp. Either could lead to headgasket problems in the not to distant future.

Oh and the expansion tank really shouldn't have split from pressure.

Sorry to sound down, but these six pots can get a little fragile and i think its best you know. Might be worth getting your mate to take it to a good garage and ask there opinions.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.