Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle Wings... MOT!
scootz

posted on 24/3/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle Wings... MOT!

I appreciate that open-wheels must have cycle-wings, but what are the 'rules' for the design and positioning of the wings themselves?

Is there a min / max distance they must be to the tyre? Must they follow the curvature of the tyre (width and radius)? How much of the radius must they cover?

Any help much appreciated!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 24/3/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think MOT is that in depth.

have a look on this
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

i suspect its just a sharp edge thing (due to rust, which is unlikely) and fouling

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt_claydon

posted on 24/3/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
MOT doesn't really cover the wheelguarding aspect. You are still obliged at all times to meet Construction & Use Regs though, so you would do well to design to the IVA requirements.
02GF74

posted on 24/3/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ tjhat is what I heard - so by no measn gospel.

you can fit year carlo fandagos to your mini and as log as they have tread, tey pass mOT .... but police can do you under contruction wotsit thingy.

a bit inconsistent.

joemotion

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
On the SVA they need to be at least level with the rim at the front (not the tyre) - mine were not however got through by sticking some rubber to the front to make it look bigger !
scootz

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers joe!

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_claydon

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Cheers joe!

There is a lot more to it than that! Have a look at the manual as there are multiple requirements for both front and rear edges.

Brommers

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
MOT doesn't really cover the wheelguarding aspect. You are still obliged at all times to meet Construction & Use Regs though, so you would do well to design to the IVA requirements.

Although the Construction and Use Regulations and the IVA Regulations are, in fact, completely different...

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 says, at regulation 63(2) that 'every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.'

That's what you have to comply with. So no, there are no rules under the C&R regs - just has to be 'so far as practicable'.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.