Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dead battery ?
markyb

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
dead battery ?

Was doing some bulb checking/chaniging yesterday which involved having the ignition on for a while. When I tried to start the car she wouldnt turn over so stuck the (bike) battery on the optimate overnight but she still wont crank

without turning the key the battery is reading 12.2, with the fuel pump and dash on it is reading 11.5 but when I try to crank it quickly drops to 6.5.

is the battery dead or is there something else I can check ?

cheers

BenB

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds dead as a dodo mate.... Most batteries don't like deep discharging and bike batteries especially so. Although the optimate can do wonders I doubt it will resuscitate a completely dead battery...
02GF74

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
all signs point to a dead'un.

optimate - that one of them piddly top up charger things?

put it on a proper big boy charger for a couple of hours.

if same, then it's time to release those pound notes lurking deep down in your wallet.

turbodisplay

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you measure the voltage? Did you checK the earth and terminals?
A fraction of an ohm resistance will cause voltage to fall.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 25/3/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some 'smart chargers' won't play with batteries under a certain voltage. Can you pop some jump leads on it and a running car for 10 minutes? Then see if it wants to play...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 25/3/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it is a gonner --

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

markyb

posted on 25/3/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I should have said the car did run yesterday before doing the bulb testing

was just in the garage and discovered that the wire on one of the optimate connectors was loose so have fixed that and put it on charge again to see if that makes a difference

turbodisplay - all the measurements were done at the battery terminals - checked the earths and they seem fine as well

will update once the charging cycle is finished

adithorp

posted on 25/3/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Does it even attempt to turn over? Is it on carbs?

I have heard of a couple that have been left with the ignition switched on (and therefore fuel pump presurised) and they've slowly filled a cylinder with fuel, via slightly worm float needles. Compression then locks them up.

Just a thought.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

markyb

posted on 25/3/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
well, after recharging, she started first time, and 2nd time.....

3rd time I decided to just let the pump run for a few seconds and then turned her on but no joy - looks like (as most people predicted) a new battery is required

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
It was the "quickly drops to 6.5v" bit that pointed to dead cell.

If you can fit a smallish car battery (such as a type 063 of a known brand ) it will stand a better chance of survival. How long a battery last is a lot to do with how much charge you take out it between runs/charging.
With a motorcylcle battery its too easy to take quite a high percentage of the battery's charge out by by leaving the igniton or lights on even for a short time.

The greater the percentage of charge you take out a battery the less charge the battery will hold when re-charged. To put it another way everytime you use some of batteries chsarge it gets damaged slightly, the more you use the more damaged to the cells.

Any time you take a lot of charge out a battery it pays to stick it on a slow charge even for a short time before trying to start the car.

The other thing to be aware of is charging rate. In simple terms the slower the charge rate the longer a battery is likely to last, so if if you take say 20% of a motorcylcle batteries charge out of it in a cold start and the car type alternator tries to pump its full 80 amps output into the battery the plate will get damaged at an alarming rate.

When buying a good guide to quality is the length of warranty it is worth paying the extra few pounds or so for a battery with a 4 year or even 5 year warranty.

I can recommend http://www.tayna.co.uk as a very good internet supplier very quick delivery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

markyb

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
It was the "quickly drops to 6.5v" bit that pointed to dead cell.

If you can fit a smallish car battery (such as a type 063 of a known brand ) it will stand a better chance of survival. How long a battery last is a lot to do with how much charge you take out it between runs/charging.
With a motorcylcle battery its too easy to take quite a high percentage of the battery's charge out by by leaving the igniton or lights on even for a short time.

The greater the percentage of charge you take out a battery the less charge the battery will hold when re-charged. To put it another way everytime you use some of batteries chsarge it gets damaged slightly, the more you use the more damaged to the cells.

Any time you take a lot of charge out a battery it pays to stick it on a slow charge even for a short time before trying to start the car.

The other thing to be aware of is charging rate. In simple terms the slower the charge rate the longer a battery is likely to last, so if if you take say 20% of a motorcylcle batteries charge out of it in a cold start and the car type alternator tries to pump its full 80 amps output into the battery the plate will get damaged at an alarming rate.

When buying a good guide to quality is the length of warranty it is worth paying the extra few pounds or so for a battery with a 4 year or even 5 year warranty.

I can recommend http://www.tayna.co.uk as a very good internet supplier very quick delivery.

thanks for the battery guide - as I used the battery during my build the ignition was often on to test lights/wiring etc so helps explain the dead cell

wallet has been opened and new battery ordered

Sprytny

posted on 30/3/10 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Batteries

I have always found small motorbike batteries to last for a lot less time than a car one. They do not keep their charge for that long either. I always disconnected my battery from my bike and leave it on charge if left for longer periods.
bob

posted on 31/3/10 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I was given another tip on here for battery care.

If your working on the car and by chance have to remove the battery never ever store the battery on a bare concrete floor,always leave the battery on the bench or at least raised from the concrete.

I also always leave the maintainance charge on the battery when leaving the car garaged for a length of time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.