Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: fury panels
mrwibble

posted on 27/3/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
fury panels

hi everyone, a couple of questions if i may,

1) i'm planning on painting my ali panels with hammerite including a primer sold by the same, any idea what quantities i'm gonna need to basically do a whole floor, sides, cockpit and transmission tunnel bearing in mind they sell these things in 250ml and 500ml. (a rough idea would be appreciated as i'm sure u dont have a fury panels area committed to memory)

2) rivnuts for tunnel top and removable sides. 1)which ones? the just seems endless choice 2)am i right in thinking i will need some matching bolts to complement the rivnut fixings (i've never rivetted anything let alone rivnutted)

3) anyone else find the fury panels overly complicated! its like a jigsaw puzzle with a smudged picture!

any help greatly appreciated
mr wibs

blakep82

posted on 27/3/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
250ml of the primer reckons it covers 3 square meters. to do all that i think you might even need a little more than the 500ml

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 27/3/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used Rustoleum available from tooledup.com absolutly brill stuff on ali athough it meant for steel, just paint it on no primer nothing and so flexible.

I reckon hammerite would flake and chip off easily.

Just my 2 peneth

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke

posted on 27/3/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite do also produce 1, 2 and 5 litre tins.
mrwibble

posted on 27/3/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I used Rustoleum available from tooledup.com absolutly brill stuff on ali athough it meant for steel, just paint it on no primer nothing and so flexible.

I reckon hammerite would flake and chip off easily.

Just my 2 peneth

Rich

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=130201

this the one? i'm tempted but it says leaves a silvery deposit when touched...

2cv

posted on 27/3/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think you may have trouble as has been mentioned that the paint will not stick to the aluminium. It is usual to spray a few coats of self-etching primer onto the aluminium before a top coat. It is easy to spray and providing you wear a suitable mask not too bad to work with.

Rivnuts are a very good idea for any panels which need to be removed and if you haven't bought a setting tool yet the ones that operate on reduced head rivnuts are a good idea. Reduced head are almost countersunk and will allow the panel to sit nicely.

When buying rivnuts I have found Prifast abosolutely excellent to deal with, all the help and advice you need together with next day delivery and any quantity you need.
http://www.prifast.co.uk/
Be careful when ordering to order metric/metric or metric/imperial. Just to clarify, you can buy metric sizes which need a metric hole or metric sizes which need an imperial hole. The imperial holes are always a little larger than the metric ones for the same size thread so if you are unlucky and overdrill it's worth keeping a few imperials ones to hand. Metric sizes are as follows:
M4 use M6 hole, M5 use M7 and M6 use M9.
Personally, I would use M5 stainless steel button heads for the transmission cover.

You may find some useful information on this website which although Phoenix is similar in many ways to the Fury.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/johnsphoenix/

Hope some of this helps.

Brommers

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
hi everyone, a couple of questions if i may,

1) i'm planning on painting my ali panels with hammerite including a primer sold by the same, any idea what quantities i'm gonna need to basically do a whole floor, sides, cockpit and transmission tunnel bearing in mind they sell these things in 250ml and 500ml. (a rough idea would be appreciated as i'm sure u dont have a fury panels area committed to memory)

I did that on my first Fury build. Took for ever, and the finish while shiney was so brittle it chipped as soon as you looked at it. On the third build I got the panels powder-coated. Cost 70 quid, took no effort, and the panels are much harder wearing. if you're still keen on Hammerite, I think I used a 500ml pot of primers on Build No. 1. Was a long time ago, mind you...

quote:

2) rivnuts for tunnel top and removable sides. 1)which ones? the just seems endless choice 2)am i right in thinking i will need some matching bolts to complement the rivnut fixings (i've never rivetted anything let alone rivnutted)

I use 5mm button head bolts on the panels on top of the transmission tunnel. I don't make the sides removable as I've never felt the need to remove them. Yet. The bolts you use will need to match the rivnuts - M5 bolts for M5 rivnuts. M5x12 or M5x16 should be fine for this. The best rivnuts to use are the steel ones with the splined edges - much better than the smooth aluminium ones as they're much less likely to spin in their holes. And it's really annoying when they do. Even better, put a blob of epoxy on the splines when you fit the rivnuts.

quote:

3) anyone else find the fury panels overly complicated! its like a jigsaw puzzle with a smudged picture!

any help greatly appreciated
mr wibs

Heh, get's easier the third time. Still not convinced about the black panels and silver rivets look though - looks a bit studs'n'leather. Never mind.

Having said that, the second build was the worst for panels. Mind you, making my own pre-preg carbon, kevlar and aluminium honeycomb panels wasn't exactly ever going to be making life easy for myself...

[Edited on 30/3/10 by Brommers]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.