Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint?
David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/10 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Paint?

I have a scuttle that's been sprayed with yellow cellulose. It now needs some holes filled and some or all of it resprayed.

The problem is that I can't get cellulose easily any more. I know that there are on-line/ebay suppliers who'll sell me cellulose but it will be hard to match the colour (I don't have any RAL or BS number for it). I don't have to get an exact match as all the other yellow bits (wings and nose) are far away from the scuttle, but I do need to get fairly close.

So, what are the alternatives?

For example, can I use a couple of rattle cans from Halfrauds, if I can find a reasonably close match? Would it be OK straight over cellulose (it's been there 5 years) or will I need a barrier coat?

My local auto paint supplier will fill a can with whatever's now legal (water-based?) but I don't know if that has its own problems.

All advice and help gratefully received...

rallyingden

posted on 30/3/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Go to Halfrauds
Find a colour that matches then get the code and buy it off ebay Simple

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Now there's a thought!

I think that it's one of 2 colours - but I've just seen the price of RAL charts, so I won't be buying them (over £12 for ONE sheet), and a hell of a lot more for the smallest colour sample thing (a tiny bundle of those sheets you get in B&Q with little coloured squares on).

iank

posted on 30/3/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
It claims in this months ppc (that has a spraying article) that cellulose can be bought by the litre at Halfords as it's a DIY supplier (£26 per/litre).

(page 88, box 11)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
HOW MUCH!

The on-line suppliers sell it for just over half that much, including postage!

I wouldn't need a litre anyway - it'll get wasted - as I only have to paint 0.5 sq metre.

In the past I bought GOOD specially filled aerosols from the local paint supplier - but no more.

iank

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Please insert obligatory "get a trade card" here.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
halfords will fill aerosols too.
never mind the 'how much?!' thats what these things cost these days. if you want it done, man up and pay for it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iDENTITi

posted on 30/3/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, halfrauds have paint mixing facilities (the bigger ones).
Dunno if you'd trust the people there to mix it though.. I worked at one and I wouldn't trust them

Bluemoon

posted on 30/3/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
this is locostbuilders.... you could by 1/10th of a locost for the paint cost

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
halfords will fill aerosols too.
never mind the 'how much?!' thats what these things cost these days. if you want it done, man up and pay for it

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
thats what these things cost these days. if you want it done, man up and pay for it

Danozeman

posted on 30/3/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
David go and ask in halfords to look at there paint code books. They have 4 nig folders full of paint colours and find the one that matches. They will then mix you up a cellulose spray to that. There books have over 100,000 colours in. The one at ransomes deffinatley has the books.

Thats how i chose the colour of my car, couldnt decide which colour so i stood in halfords for an hour deciding then they mixed it up for me. The girl thought i was right weird.

[Edited on 30/3/10 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 30/3/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ah - that's good news! Looks like a visit is required on Saturday...

All I've got to do now is find the bit of spare yellow GRP I cut off 5 years ago and "put in a safe place so I can always match the colour"... if I can remember where that safe place is...

Canada EH!

posted on 30/3/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
And when you find it, TAKE it with you to find the right colour!
David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Found the GRP offcut, DID remember to take it with me today, and then spent 30 minutes leafing through the colour charts until I found a decent match - "BMW Signal Gelb" seems to be OK. "Signal Gelb" is "Signal Yellow" and the equivalent RAL1003 isn't too far away, so that's worth remembering for the future.

£12.99 for a 300ml rattle can seemed a bit steep, but it did require 15 minutes of the lad's time so I wonder how they make much profit from it. It was convenient for me, so I put up with it.

Just one warning for anyone getting paint from Halfords - it looks like the regulations have caught up with them (or they're being very cautious). They are no longer allowed to sell their non-metallic custom-mixed paint in 500ml or 1 litre cans. For some strange reason they can still sell metallic and mica paint - maybe they're not cellulose...

[Edited on 2/4/10 by David Jenkins]

Sprytny

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Online paint suppliers

Where can I purchase spray paint online? I am looking to buy some to start my locost project.
Steve Hignett

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
Where can I purchase spray paint online? I am looking to buy some to start my locost project.

I'm not sure who's build diary you've been reading, but I suspect that buying paint, isn't the best starting point for a locost build...

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/10 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny

Search for cellulose paint on ebay - even if you don't want cellulose! You'll end up with loads of links to suppliers of all kinds of automotive paint.

Don't forget the hazards involved with all/most of these paints as they'll probably supply anything you ask for, even if you're not set up to use it safely!

RK

posted on 6/4/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
How are you going to paint your chassis Steve? Maybe he wants a chassis with no powdercoat, which is what I did - and yes, it was a mistake in the end!
rusty nuts

posted on 6/4/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
How are you going to paint your chassis Steve? Maybe he wants a chassis with no powdercoat, which is what I did - and yes, it was a mistake in the end!

It was a mistake buying a chassis with powder coating, I've spent the last few months stripping the chassis to get it shotblasted , painted and am now reassembling due to the powdercoating falling off

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.