Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Again
LBMEFM

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Again

My final say on my experience with regards to MOT 's on kit cars. I have spoken twice now to DVLA Swansea they insist that only cars with current reg plate qualify for the first three years without an MOT. All others, age related/Q plates must have an MOT to obtain tax. I explained that many club members do not have MOT's she said that this wrong. I said but they got them from their local DVLA offices or filled in form V112 at the post office. She said that she could not comment on other cases but as mine was an age related you MUST have an MOT. I then spoke to their policy department manager and he said the same. I then called the police and they said that if they stopped a vehicle with a number plate older than three years they would ask for an MOT, if you could produce one then they would report it. I then called an insurance company and they also confirmed the insurance policy may be void if you do not have the correct MOT
for your vehicle. These are not my views but they are open for discussion, but be warned you may be driving illegally.

prawnabie

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard that recently too
RichardK

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
So what did Paul Jepson say to that then?

My V5 has a date it was first registered in the uk, the form v112 appears to quite clear with the question it asks regarding this date.

Will be checking with my insurer now though... Or maybe I can ask Gary from 2gether to comment as he's a reg trader.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 30/3/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

My V5 has a date it was first registered in the uk, the form v112 appears to quite clear with the question it asks regarding this date.

Will be checking with my insurer now though... Or maybe I can ask Gary from 2gether to comment as he's a reg trader.

Cheers

Rich

Who is Paul Jepson ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
So ............. what they are saying is if I put a personalized plate on a brand new car , if the `new' reg happens to have come from an older car I will immediately need an MOT ?
Surely the MOT requirement is based on year of registration , not what it says on the plate - my car is on an old `T' reg , but it's an age related plate (the number was issued in 2000 , NOT 1978)

[Edited on 30/3/10 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

melly-g

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
On my tax renewal form it has that mine doesn't need an MOT until 23/5/10, this is 3 years from the date it was registered in the uk!
Was this any help?

RichardK

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Cheers

Rich

Who is Paul Jepson ?

Ok, I've emailed Gary to see if he'll be kind enough to give his professional point of view on this.

Jacko, Paul Jepson is that guy in the mags that used to work for the dvla and does all the form filling as a paid service, LBMEFM made a reference to him in a previous post about it.

Cheers

Rich

LBMEFM

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I cannot understand, there seems to be no continuity betweem DVLA centres. Richard, Paul Jepson agrees with us as does his friend Mark at VOSA that it should not need an MOT for the first three years, but DVLA Swansea insist that it does.
tomprescott

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Seems like the officials are just as (if not more than likely) to confuse the rules as we are, which means as far as I'm concerned get an MOT even if you shouldn't need one because that way you're covered. Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

A bird in the hand....

RichardK

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
TBH that doesn't surprise me, the dvla don't know their ar5e from their elbow

I really don't think we'll ever get a consistent answer but I'm interested to hear if this will potentially invalidate my insurance.

Cheers

Rich

RichardK

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Seems like the officials are just as (if not more than likely) to confuse the rules as we are, which means as far as I'm concerned get an MOT even if you shouldn't need one because that way you're covered. Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Mmm starting to agree...

Lars

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
i spoke to the DVLA last month to tax my car and they said I do not need an MOT, but their system says i needed one, so could not do it on the phone or net.

But they said to take it to an post/dvla office and they would tax it, and I did and its now taxed.

My V5 clearly states that it is first registered in 2008, so they could not really argue.

Mine is a Q plate though.

If a car is registered on an age related plate what date of first reistration does it give on the V5, actual registration, or that of the donor?

shades

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
dam and blast, Just tried to tax mine on line and it came up with no valid MOT cert. I have 18 months before mine has been on the road for 3 years im thinking before i read here.... Oh no... more DVLA, please nooooo, noooo,
Will try post office tomorrow, as for MOT and a need, I built the thing, I kinda know if things are working or not

Thanks
Adrian

shades

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Lars, thanks, that makes me feel better...

Thanks
Adrian

tomprescott

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades
dam and blast, Just tried to tax mine on line and it came up with no valid MOT cert. I have 18 months before mine has been on the road for 3 years im thinking before i read here.... Oh no... more DVLA, please nooooo, noooo,
Will try post office tomorrow, as for MOT and a need, I built the thing, I kinda know if things are working or not

I agree in that you probably know whether or not your car is safe on the road (as would most of us) BUT, will the police officer that pulls you over accept that or will they issue with a fine (if not something worse)?

Even knowing I was in the right, I would rather pay £50ish for an MOT and not have the hassle and cost of going to court to prove it.

[Edited on 30/3/10 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

RichardK

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lars
i spoke to the DVLA last month to tax my car and they said I do not need an MOT, but their system says i needed one, so could not do it on the phone or net.

But they said to take it to an post/dvla office and they would tax it, and I did and its now taxed.

My V5 clearly states that it is first registered in 2008, so they could not really argue.

Mine is a Q plate though.

If a car is registered on an age related plate what date of first reistration does it give on the V5, actual registration, or that of the donor?

My car is a H reg and my V5 states first reg in the uk 2008

shades

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tom, completley agree, and always MOT my cars when there is a need. The Need im refering to is the 3 years grace for new cars, If the rules say I have this period, Im happy that I built it, know when its not working. If Im in the 3 years, according to the rules there is no need to MOT it, if you get what i mean

Thanks
Adrian

wicket

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mines on a W age related, V5 first reg in UK 2006. I was told by the local DVLA at time of registration that no MOT would be required until 2009 and sure enough never needed MOT until 1st January 2009.
Lars

posted on 30/3/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
just done a bit of a search on the dvla website and there is no reference that kit cars need mot before they are 3 years old

and the v112 clearly says it is exempt if less than 3 years old.

It actually also says "the date is
considered to be the last day of the
year in which the vehicle was made." so you actually get slightly more than 3 years.

Lars

posted on 30/3/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
when I took it to the post office they were a little confused as their system says that I needed an MOT, but I showed the V5 which says car is less then 3 years old.
Absolutely no argument, got my tax disc

ReMan

posted on 30/3/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I can't be bothered to comment on this again as it boils my wee so much
DRC INDY 7

posted on 30/3/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Happend to me but what is the big problem in getting it mot'd anyway

there are bigger things to moan about and this is not 1 of them zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

rf900rush

posted on 31/3/10 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
I just assumed that I needed MOT's for the first three years and went and had them done.

1st MOT failed. Steering column loose.
The UJ between at the rack was slightly loose.

Small enough play not to notice easily.
Glad I had it checkover.

Also had it MOT'd before the SVA.

Just nice to have some else check it over.

I try to make sure my Cars are safe and any of us could miss something from time to time.

richardh

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
For the sake of about £50 a year, is it really worth the agro of going through all this every time?
Before long they will make it compulsory that EVERY car has to have an MOT EVERY YEAR!

Time for a change!

iank

posted on 31/3/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I bet if the government tried to put a £50 tax on your hobby for 3 years you'd be complaining.

There is no way your insurance, or the police, could say anything as you've got a tax disc from an agent of the DVLA (i.e the post office clerk). If the V112 wording is wrong, or they want to change the rules they should change them and chase things up if you've been issued with a disc incorrectly, it's hardly your responsibility if their systems aren't fit for purpose.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.