Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000 Powertrains
scootz

posted on 1/4/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 Powertrains

Been offered an S2000 rolling chassis (damaged) at a pretty good price.

I know it's not a common install, but can anyone who's done it give me an indication of the essential bits for doing a transplant, so I can make sure they're all present and undamaged.

Also, can it be run on the standard induction and ECU in a kit car, or would it require a shift to TB's and standalone ECU?

It's Evolution Baby!

daniel mason

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
u2u on its way!
scootz

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hoorah... cheers Daniel!

It's Evolution Baby!

cd.thomson

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
getting more common actually scootz, theres a couple of very helpful guys whove done it on the dax forum

Craig

blakep82

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
how many projects have you got on now?!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 1/4/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just the one... (Quantum)!

My garage has never looked so bare! Pretty much everything else is sold (except a Mazda MX-5 engine and some odds and sods).

It's Evolution Baby!

franky

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
A friend has done a conversion and used everything.. engine/ecu/diff etc etc.

Bloody quick too.

scootz

posted on 1/4/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know Honda have a good rep for engine reliability, but what about the S2000 unit?

This one's covered 70k.

It's Evolution Baby!

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Go on scootz, you know you want to...

Saw an S2000 powered Viento (owner on here somewhere) a couple of weeks back... Very

franky

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
friends car had 160k on it(company car) with no issues at all. Made 236bhp at 150k on a rolling road so as good as you get really.

If I wasn't using a 3.0 m3 motor it'd be a s2000.

blakep82

posted on 2/4/10 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
doesn't the s2000 engine (or honda engines in general) spin the opposite way to normal engines? so you need to use the gearbox and diff too wouldn't you?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 2/4/10 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
doesn't the s2000 engine (or honda engines in general) spin the opposite way to normal engines? so you need to use the gearbox and diff too wouldn't you?

Yep. Although i have heard (not sure how true it is) that some diffs can be run upside down with the breather and drain plug swapped over.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

PeteS2k

posted on 2/4/10 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the older Hondas (B series?) spin the other way. The S2000 spins conventionally, so plugs in nicely to a 'standard' diff.

The S2000 runs a 4.1 diff ratio as stock - something to be aware of when using (for example) a Sierra diff. 3.92 is probably close enough, but you're probably wasting the gears and the 9000 rpm redline if you go much less!

I got a 4.1 CWP set in my Sierra diff - at great expense!

chris mason

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
As pointed out quite rightly by Pete above, if your going to use an S2000 engine and gearbox, then you really need to use the diff, or at least have a sierra diff changed.

When i built mine back in 2005/6 i used the s2000 diff, the gearing still enabled it to do the other side of 150mph, i'm pretty sure if you mated a s2000 engine and box to a sierra 3.62 diff, then 5th and 6th gear would be no use what so ever until you got above 130mph.

Back when i did it, there had been a few engines go pop due to oil starvation on cylinder no 3, It turns out this was caused by the oil level being at the min on the dipstick while being tracked.

I dry sumped mine to be on the safe side, it also reduced the amount of sump hanging below the chassis, you can't lose too much in the height due to the bell housing, but there's still 30-50 iirc to be gained.

Great engine for a 7-a-like, there's a lot more information out there now, unlike 4-5 years ago, so you should be fine.

Chris

Brommers

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

No. The B-series motors do, the K20A and F20 (as found in the S2000) don't.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.