Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tax disc
andrew

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
tax disc

do you have to display tax disc on vehicle as i taxed mine today went out in it ,parked in town came back no tax disc, i have no top and only an aro screen , going to keep replacement in my wallet will i get done,,,,
luke

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
you have to have it on display. alot of people go for a bike holder.
flibble

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've been had a few years ago on a bike for having the tax disc in my wallet (bought it 2 days before and had forgot to put it in its holder).
Can you not get one of those bolt in disc holders, I'd have thought they were the most secure in a kit?
Like this?

[Edited on 1-4-10 by flibble]

deanwelch

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
not sure if its legal and may get shot down in flames but when you get your replacement colour copy it a few times display copy and have original in wallet
ReMan

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deanwelch
not sure if its legal and may get shot down in flames but when you get your replacement colour copy it a few times display copy and have original in wallet

Tecnically illegal in principal.
But in practice, bearing in mind all the details would be legit and correct for the vehicle if computer checked, unlikely to be penalised

luke

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A beady eyed copper will spot that the tax disc is lacking the hologram.

austin man

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It must be the original displayed, the Police can confirm with the DVLA if the car is taxed should you get pulled. I think to need a mor secure method of displaying the disc. Mine requires an allen key to remove the back of the holder

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
You are supposed to display the tax disc and it's supposed to be displayed on the nearside, although in practise as has been said a quick PNC check will confirm whether the vehicle is up to date.
As for photocopying one, it's a good idea but I suspect that you're going to attract more attention and suspicion than you really want.

RichardK

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Technically yes as the law you'd be breaking is "failure to display a valid tax disk"

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/4/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with the allen key bike-type holder, but.....

Had one on my bike and have for several years now, somewhere over the space of a couple of days some lowlife had nicked it!

But not content with just nicking the disc and holder, they cracked my bloody fairing bending the holder back-and-forth to snap it off

Why though? what the hell can they do with it anyhow?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

se7en

posted on 1/4/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

IIRC you cannot photocopy tax discs as they have something in the paper that prevents a copy.

There was a report that I read some time ago that said that there is a character printed on documents that when a photocopier senses this character it will not copy the document. I am led to believe that this technology is now used in tax discs.

blakep82

posted on 2/4/10 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
thing is, with all the ANPR traffic cops have to check if the car's taxed, you're unlikely to have a problem i'd think, as they'd be unlikely to pull you. unless you leave it parked somewhere and a traffic warden has a look.

legally you must dispaly a tax disc, not cool if someone nicks it though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 2/4/10 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7en

There was a report that I read some time ago that said that there is a character printed on documents that when a photocopier senses this character it will not copy the document. I am led to believe that this technology is now used in tax discs.

erm, really? didn't think photocopiers were that clever. i'll dig an old one out my car tomorrow and try it in my scanner, see what happens. if i remember...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think that they pick colours that don't come out well in a photocopier - I think they do the same sort of thing with some banknotes too.

Humbug

posted on 2/4/10 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
As above - you have to diplay a valid disc, according to the law.

I didn't have a screen originally so I use one of the bike disc holders bolted to the scuttle. I recently put on a full screen but kept the disc holder... so far, so good.

Staple balls

posted on 2/4/10 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
They use magic on bank notes. I imagine the same could be done with almost anything printed.

TigerB6 Paul

posted on 2/4/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered fitting a motorbike alarm that'll detect movement in your car....... and then fitting the disc between your seats on the bulkhead. Not technically 100% correct on where its placed but should be more secure there. Anyone trying to remove it is probably going to set off the alarm
matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Motorcycle tax disc holder in the footwell area. I have a full cage so its difficult to lean in and mess around with it.

Works for me so far, although I don't think they do tax disc theft around here.

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Motorcycle tax disc holder in the footwell area. I have a full cage so its difficult to lean in and mess around with it.

Works for me so far, although I don't think they do tax disc theft around here.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.