Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Gear Indicator
Nosbod

posted on 3/4/10 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Gear Indicator

Can anyone recommend an easy to install Gear Indicator for an R1 carb'd engine (5JJ).

Cheers,

Chris.

GreigM

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these sitting in a box:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GPT-Professional-Gear-Indicator-Gi3001_W0QQitemZ260557623991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3caa71d2b7 />
It didn't work for me as I'm not getting a clear signal from from my speedo sensor (my speedo was a bit unreliable beforehand) and couldn't be bothered running a new wire etc.

If you've got a decent clean signal from your speedo sensor then the install is very simple - 4 wires: ground, 12V, rpm and speedo - just connect them up. You then need to program it up by connecting the 5th wire to either ground or 12V - I had wired an indicator switch to enable me to do this very easy while out running.

Took about 20 mins to install (15 mins to get dash off!), looks good and does the job.

If you're interested I'll send it to you, including the wired switch for £50 - full box, instructions etc included - only wired in for 10 minutes then realised it wasn't going to work for me.

Your other main option is if you can find an indicator specifically for your engine - some engines have a sensor wire which tells devices which gear its in - most don't have this - my busa does, so I've gone to this as it means I didn't have to rewire the speedo, but it was a LOT more expensive.

hobbsy

posted on 3/4/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Acumen DG8 is what I'm running on my 2003 5PW R1. You can get a plug n play loom if wiring is not your thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.