Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin Top ABS
hearbear

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tin Top ABS

Is there a way to check abs sensors on daughters 99 megane, she had it on reader and it said something along the line off 1 of 4 sensor fault so I'm none the wiser as which one and don't want to start changing them all.

Cheers George

prawnabie

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Does the warning light come on when the engine is switch on or just as you start to drive?
prawnabie

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
sensors aren't that common on meganes, its usually the cv boot clip comes off and goes over the toothed ring on the cv or the toothed ring itself is either missing or is damaged.
RickRick

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
i think open circuit on the sensor its self means problems def the case on my fiesta just measure resistance on all 4 sensors (theres bound to be a plug somewere probably behind the arch liner) and find the odd one out
prawnabie

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Code readers don't tell you wether there problem is with the sensor or the target
hearbear

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
The light comes on at startup then goes of in the normal way, and after a period of running it comes on.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/4/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a sensor OR sensor wiring OR sensor exciter ring Fault.

The sensor rings can be examined physically/ visually for damage/ blockage. Also check the gap is not too big between the sensor and the ring.

the sensor can usually be checked by
a) measure the resistance as already descibed.
b) disconnect a plug at the wheel and set your meter to AC volts. spin the wheel and you should get an AC voltage reading.
Check all 4 and compare the readings against each other ( thats what the ecu does anyway.)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
sensors aren't that common on meganes, its usually the cv boot clip comes off and goes over the toothed ring on the cv or the toothed ring itself is either missing or is damaged.

Have seen that quite a few times on meganes and also the cv grease fills the gaps in the abs ring. The rear ones are possibly magnetic type abs rings that dont usually cause many problems so its worth checking the front ones first. What reader was used as most diagnostic equpment tells you which sensor is giving the faulty reading? Where about outside Edinburgh are you because we are in west lothian and have diagnostic equipment that might help?
Cheers
Ronnie

britishtrident

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Given car is more than 10 years, and after a very hard winter my money is on a split reluctor ring on the front ---- should show up on a visual inspection.

[Edited on 4/4/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hearbear

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

Have seen that quite a few times on meganes and also the cv grease fills the gaps in the abs ring. The rear ones are possibly magnetic type abs rings that dont usually cause many problems so its worth checking the front ones first. What reader was used as most diagnostic equpment tells you which sensor is giving the faulty reading? Where about outside Edinburgh are you because we are in west lothian and have diagnostic equipment that might help?
Cheers
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie
I will look at it this week and check all the above as I'm of for the week and I'm East Calder

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.