Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New to bodywork
Sprytny

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
New to bodywork

I am looking to do some basic bodywork at a DIY level. I want to be able to paint some bodywork i.e. the bonnet. What equipment would be recommended as a DIY'er, what are the easiest paints to work with and is there something downloadable that can give me some basic knowledge of this. Anyone seen anything on Utube for example. I want to do the work in the shed: has anyone ventured to do this and have pictures of their master workshop!
Thanks
Greg

blakep82

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
mines basically a dusty garage...
got a 150litre compressor (14cfm, 32amp, 3hp, single phase)
couple of cheap spray guns. can get a decent finish, but by no means pro.

not particularly cheap though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Sprytny

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Which compressor do you have? Can I get one from Machine Mart that might make sense to buy?
austin man

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Paint is not the nicest of things to use I wouldn't recomment the shed due to ventilation issues.

2 Pack is very harmfull and definitelly needs a respirator/ high quality mask. Cellulose is harmfull but not as much as 2 pack although difficult to get hold of now.

Finish wise 2 pack offers more duarability and an out of the gun shine . My prefference is cellulose less of a shine but more user friendly.

Requirements compressor with a minimium of a 50 litre tank, HVLP gravity fed gun. Tac rags, Mask

I have done some painting outdoors in good weather and achieved a good finish. The Austin in my avtar was painted in 2 pack 4 coats of paint in all including 1 flash coat you couldn't do that with cellulose

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

emsfactory

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think HVLP is the only way.
I have a devilbiss suction and it s great.

skinned knuckles

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
fill in your profile mate. that way, someone near you may invite you round for a bit of a free tutorial. if noone knows where you are, that wont happen

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

blakep82

posted on 5/4/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
Which compressor do you have? Can I get one from Machine Mart that might make sense to buy?

thisis the one i went for, but you won't be able to just plug it in your13a socket.

i apperciate what austin man says, you can't buy cellulose from proper paint suppliers, but you CAN get it easily from halfords, as they're a 'diy supplier' not a pro supplier, so they're still allowed to sell it, but is about £30 a litre.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 6/4/10 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
You can get fairly decent results from rattle cans available from halfords. My car isnt turning out too bad either!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MakeEverything

posted on 6/4/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
You can get fairly decent results from rattle cans available from halfords. My car isnt turning out too bad either!

I sprayed an old motorbike fuel tank with spray cans and it came out very well, but on large flat panels, you will see the difference in thicknesses.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.