Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wilwood Brake Pads?
coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Wilwood Brake Pads?

I like my Wilwoods, they have good stopping power and feel, however, they squeal like pig..

I have Mintex pads and have tried the rounding off of edges and copper slipping the backs..

They still squeal....

I would really like to try some red stuff or green stuff pads. I can see these are listed on the EBC website as DP2057/DP3057 but can't find a link to buying them.

?????

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bassett

posted on 15/4/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, Cannot help on the squeal issue but how do you find the mintex compared to the wilwood pads and if you dont mind me asking how much and where from(mintex).
One thing that may be worth trying next is Ferodo's DS2500 pad. I have these on the Leon Cupra R and they are amazing. I believe they are a fast road/track pad although they come with all the race blumph but are great even from cold. I talked to Ferodo and they make these direct in batches of 5 but maybe somewhere local/motorsport has sets.
Adam

[Edited on 15/4/10 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

andkilde

posted on 15/4/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Unsolicited opinion...

I tried EBC Greens once on my Mini and they were fine for road use but truly, horrendously frightening in spirited use. They glazed badly and left me with no brakes and brown trousers.

Have you tried the orange goo? Or shims?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear...

Current pads are Mintex M1144's bought with the calipers from Rally Design.

I've not tried any others as I took the Mintex's as recommended over the Wilwood ones.

Actual bite and feel is good but the noise detracts from actually driving the car, its very irritating indeed.

Any one else using a specific Wilwood pad or other type that they find to be good and QUIET?

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dingz

posted on 15/4/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Try cutting a slot across the face of the pad with a hacksaw, about 3mm deep. Used to work for a car I had that had this problem, some pads are made with slots across them, helps collect the dust.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

turbodisplay

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried yellow stuff pads, work well from cold, after one or 2 aplications they are amazing.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up on Mintex 1144s in my HiSpecs as I too couldnt get them to stop squealing. Even with Bendix Blue which has been very effective on various tintops I have owned.

My solution was to fit slightly modified decent quality Lotus Elise pad from my local motor factors. The have a piece of rubber type material between the caliper piston and the pad metal backing which seems to work well.

I have not yet managed to catch them on fire like I did with the greenstuffs but I will continue to try

- Jim

whitestu

posted on 15/4/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you tried yellow stuff pads, work well from cold, after one or 2 aplications they are amazing.

+1

Stu

Richard Quinn

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
According to t'interweb, Wilwood Powerlites use the EBC Yellow Stuff DP4057R pads. Is there anywhere that does these online?
coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
According to t'interweb, Wilwood Powerlites use the EBC Yellow Stuff DP4057R pads. Is there anywhere that does these online?

I've searched and searched and come up with nowt!

I would give me a go if I can get a set....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I have found some. Phoned EBC and they put me through to BRAKES4U

Part # is 4057R and they have them in stock but not listed on the search function.

Just ring the number and order as I've just done. £70 delivered.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Richard Quinn

posted on 15/4/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Found them...
coozer

posted on 15/4/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well that was super quick of them, he said he would put them up for all us kit car guys.. that was really quick!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Stuart_B

posted on 15/4/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
hi, might try a set, as mine sequel relay badly as well.

stuart

easisatman

posted on 16/4/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
yellow /greenstuff

whats the opinion of greenstuff or yellow
stuff for the standard m16 calliper
As I have standard pads that are ok for road use but I cooked them nicely big brake fade! last week at the circuit de catalunya track day -well half hour!!
regards
Paul

hobbsy

posted on 20/4/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ive recently finally fitted some wilwood powerlites and m1144s bought ages ago in a group buy and they don't squeal at all. I copperslipped them to death after hearing other people say they squeal (and hearing the same compound pads in JimG's hispec's).

Weird. Did other peoples pads squeal from the moment they were fitted or only after a bedding in period?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.