Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice needed to repair gearbox on a blade
asl

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Advice needed to repair gearbox on a blade

Morning all. The sun is shining and my car is still up on blocks with the engine out

I had an issue with 6th gear in that anytime I applied power in 6th the car would 'jump'

The clever people on here thought I had damaged the cogs of 6th so I have started along the route of changing the cogs.

The engine is now sat on my garage floor and I was going to take the whole thing to a local motorbike repairer to get it done but wondered if I could do more work to keep the cost down.

Are there any links to blade manuals that will show me how to remove the cogs and replace them? I am thinking of replcing the clutch while I've got the engine out as well so any guidance on that would be appreciated.

All help and tips greatly appreciated.

coozer

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Its not to hard, basically turn the lump upside down and remove the sump an what not. Obviously all the side covers need to come off, then its just a matter of removing all the bolts and separating the crank cases and lift the gear set out.

Simple version obviously but you can do it without stripping the the top end down.

Check to see if the gearbox is a cassette type that can be removed from the sprocket side first...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
No advice sorry other than you should check the selector forks as well as the cogs.

Hopefully you will find the manual you need here in this linky dink

r1_pete

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
How about looking for another engine, depends on what price you put on missing out on the good driving weather.

It would be the quickest way back on the road, and may be not much more £ than the replacement parts.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
asl

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. May come back with more questions if that's ok??

On the subject of replacement engine, I'm guessing a blade would just slot in but would it be as simple to put something else in.... like an R1?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/4/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
You'd have to change all the wiring over if going for the R1 - ECU, coils etc. New manifold would add to the cost, as would engine mounts etc. Simpler to drop a bare fireblade engine in really - you could then repair your current one at your leisure if its cost effective enough.

[Edited on 23/4/10 by Paul TigerB6]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/4/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
hellfire will help you on this problem...their first car had this issue..give em a shout

asl

posted on 23/4/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys
Hellfire

posted on 23/4/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
You have U2U....

Phil

asl

posted on 23/4/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Phil
gingerprince

posted on 23/4/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I repaired my gearbox following Haynes manual, and microfiche from ronayers.com for part references. I'm a novice when it comes to taking engines apart (I mean putting them back together again, taking apart's easy!) but I found it detailed enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.