Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone show me their bec sump protector
bigbravedave

posted on 27/4/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Can anyone show me their bec sump protector

After a couple of thousand miles in my zx12r engine stuart taylor the (zcars chopped and baffeled) sump is looking like its scraped a few times, as its only thin ally I would liketo knock up a sump guard, Has anyone got pics of something similar for inspiration
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/4/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to show you but I haven't made it yet
basicly a big ol ali plate with four ears on it and front and back edges turned up.
holesaw to lighten and let the crud out.

gingerprince

posted on 27/4/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
This is mine. Fitted after I caught the front of my sump, smashing it, and relocating the engine back a couple of inches!

It's fastened at the front with rivnuts, then slopes downwards and is supported by a rivnutted crossmember just in front of the sump. From there it's bent level and just provides "scuff" support for the base of the sump - it's not supported at the back.

The idea is that if I hit a speed bump (or - ahem - drive off a kerb too quickly!), the slope will guide me over it without smacking the front.

The use of rivnuts means that in theory they'll "give" first and remove the guard, rather than bending the bits of the chassis it's attached to! May seem a bit paranoid, but since I've already had to straighten it once I think it's justified

I haven't decided yet whether it causes any lift at the front due to aero effect - I thought it was on my last track day, but until I do some consecutive laps with and without it I'm treating it as paranoia. Rescued attachment sumpmarry.jpg
Rescued attachment sumpmarry.jpg

easisatman

posted on 27/4/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of mine.
Similar to Gingerprince
the person that built the car made it after hitting a rock and smashing the sump its rivnutted on at the front and a steel cross section at the back with the plate rivitted on to this. I have just had to re rivitt it back on after I spun at the circuit de catalunya on a track day over the kerb but at least it saved the sump Rescued attachment thmb sump sheild.JPG
Rescued attachment thmb sump sheild.JPG

JF

posted on 27/4/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprinceI haven't decided yet whether it causes any lift at the front due to aero effect - I thought it was on my last track day, but until I do some consecutive laps with and without it I'm treating it as paranoia.

Well since it compresses the air between the plate and the ground. And compressed air travels faster, and fast traveling air sucks... In theorie you should have more downforce instead of lift.

It's used one almost all expensive sportscars and serious racers. It's reconned that on an F1 the underbody delivers more downforce then those massive wings up top.

adithorp

posted on 28/4/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure about that...?

The "compressed" air is at a higher presure (hence compressed) and therefore tries to expand and creates lift.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.