Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: full gallery of pics
suparuss

posted on 27/4/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
full gallery of pics

just recently uploaded all my car progress photos into jalbum- http://russcollinson.jalbum.net/car/index.html

bit easier to look through the whole thing than the gallery on here, you dont have to remember which photo you clicked last!

ill start adding some descriptions at some point too.
ill also have some more progress to report soon as im cracking on a bit, just been smoothing out the cockpit/doors area so still looks the same at the moment.

SeaBass

posted on 27/4/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote

What is that?

designer

posted on 27/4/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thats an upright with geometry modified the Staniforth way.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 27/4/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
would a sierra hub not cut it? What the hell are you building, lol

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
plantman

posted on 27/4/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell

can't think of anything else to say

bloody hell

Well done

Coopz

posted on 27/4/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
wow... Im finding building an indy hard seriously impressive stuff!
suparuss

posted on 27/4/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
would a sierra hub not cut it? What the hell are you building, lol

its a mid engine beasty with an audi engine so sierra hubs wont fit! no other reason, im not disrespecting sierra hubs in any way.

thegodplato

posted on 5/5/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, what did you use to make the buck? Looks like MDF and then foam. Any recommendations greatly accepted.
I can't decide whether to build a front or mid engined car.

If you've never done anything wrong, you've never done anything

suparuss

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi, its a whole bunch of different stuff! whatever it takes really. mostly it is building foam, some mdf and mostly filler! i was taking the "making it up as you go along" approach so making pretty much the whole plug out of foam was necessary as you can easily remove lots of material untill the shape is where you want it, then a couple of layers of fiberglass to make it rigid and hard, then final shaping and smoothing with car body filler.
fred on here was making an exact replica so he made his plug with mdf ribs which were infilled with foam and so on.

id try to avoid polyeurethane foam ( the spongy stuff), although you can fiberglass straight on to it, the expanding stuff tends to expand a bit more when you glass over it which can be a pain, and it is a bit trickier to shape, especially if using a surform.
i preffer ether foam, this is the stuff that crushes, it is more rigid than poly so when you poke it you will make a hole instead of it bouncing back, it is much easier to shape as a surform will actually cut it, and you can smooth it by just wiping over it with your hands. king span make it as building insulation, it is more expensive but well worth it. it also reacts with resin so needs sealing with pva before you fiber glass over it.

dont be tempted to skip the fiberglassing stage! you really need that hard surface before you start filling and smoothing otherwise you will be peeing into the wind!

OX

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
looks great

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.