Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upgrading Aldi Compressor?
coozer

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Upgrading Aldi Compressor?

Ok, compressor engineers...

I have the little 25L Aldi thing that is not exactly quiet... however I don't mind the noise as the radio has a button that can out do it.

However show it the cut off saw, air ratchet or what ever it runs out of puff real quick..

If I was to get a big gas bottle, say one of the big 19kg propane bottles and replaced the receiver would that help the performance?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ReMan

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Interested too, got the compressor, not stopped buying air tools since but as said the capacity is "cough" limited
luke_stephenson

posted on 4/5/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that it would be possible to run tools for longer due to the larger volume of air in your reciever. however if the air delivered by the compressor is 25 CFM (for arguments sake) you will only ever be able to run a tool that consumes 25 CFM with a guarantee of performance.

getting back to using a larger reciever. if your air tools are designed to run at about 90-100psi and your aldi compressor is only capable of reaching 100 psi your larger reciever will allow you to have more flow but will loose pressure at the rate that the tool draws off quicker than the compressor would supply.

in short it would give some improvement. would definately work if your compressor could supply say 125 psi and you only wanted to use 100. if you put a regulator on you could get some extra performance time than the current set up.

crap explanantion but think it holds a little water

coozer

posted on 4/5/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look and its 2.5hp, 9.5cfm and 115psi. Problem I reckon is the small 25L receiver.

So, if I get a 100L receiver and a 100psi regulator would that make it better without running out of air.

Obviously if I use a gas bottle it can take a lot more pressure, how about increasing the pressure??

Thanks,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

andrew-theasby

posted on 4/5/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I use to use mine like that for spraying and other low pressure things, works fine, but if you wanted a high pressure high cfm, you would soon run it down again, unless it was just something like a nut gun which would be off more than on. A grinder for example would empty it, but as a "free upgrade" its well worth doing for the extra run time it would give you. I tweaked the pressure switch too IIRC, to pump up to a higher pressure before cutting off, but do so at your own risk!

[Edited on 4/5/10 by andrew-theasby]

luke_stephenson

posted on 4/5/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding would be that a larger reciever at 115psi rather than 100 would be the best you could hope for. but i'm not going to suggest you start making your own pressure vessels!

I would be tempted to try 90 psi (max - no minimum) regulator and charge any safely rated reciever up to 115psi. only thing is it will take a while. and at the end of the day the maximim continuous rating you will be able to use indefinately @100psi would be a 9CFM tool which is not a lot.

Peteff

posted on 4/5/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you put more storage on the little pump it will not increase the free air displacement which is what you need, the only way to do it is with a bigger pump. You'll get a slightly longer running time till the pressure drops then the pump will take longer to fill the increased space. CFM is not the figure you need, FAD is more important. Your pump should be able to refill your tank and run the tools you use at the same time to be useful.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mad4x4

posted on 5/5/10 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
My mate has one of these compressors and he has finally managed to get fitting to hook up the ALDI tank to a 47KG (the biggie) PROPANE BOTTLE.

He was telling me on Monday night that he can now runn his windy gun and the compressor will "just about keep up" turning it from mmmm to Oh So Much Better.

He connected the PROPANE tank to the fitting on the end of the Alid tank and then put in a new watertrap and regulator so the compressor out puts can be set at pressure 1 the Big storage bottle outputs can be set at a different pressure.

How he did it was put a T on top of the bottle so he could connect the fill line and the outtput line to the same point

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

balidey

posted on 5/5/10 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Does this thread help at all?.....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=132013

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

BenB

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Well you probably could but I'm not saying you should. There's some serious pressure in them there compressor tanks! Each to their own but high pressure air is one thing you won't find me mucking around with! A ready made proper size compressor is perhaps a slightly safer option....
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I hooked two Aldi compressors together so double the volume and double the compressor power.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

mads

posted on 5/5/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
I hooked two Aldi compressors together so double the volume and double the compressor power.

how did you "hook" the two together?

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

skinned knuckles

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
quote:

wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to fabricate a manifold for this. you could even weld the two compressors together with a few pieces of flat bar and have the outputs for the 2 tanks running into some steel tube with the correct push in connectors with one exit connector. that way you could disconnect it and run them seperate if you wanted to.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
quote:

I guess just a flex pipe between the two would do just fine

JoelP

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
just buy a Y shaped adapter! Dead easy and a few quid.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.