Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Springs rattle on full droop
MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Springs rattle on full droop

Just fitted new dampers and springs to rear of car, now if i set the ride height at the desired level (98mm), when the car is in full droop the springs rattle about, i.e. no compression. I'm guessing the only way around this is to have some graduated springs (not ideal as more expensive and i've only just brand new ones anyway), or maybe some weak helper springs?? How much will springs settle by, as if this happens i maybe able to get the desired ride height without helper springs and get the springs tight. Ideas?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Me being a tight-a5@e would change the ride height

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Me being a tight-a5@e would change the ride height

LOL! Just looked, helper springs are £13 each @ merlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i only paid £46 for the pair of proper springs!! And the spacers to hold them in place, another £13!!!!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philw

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Why don't you wind the spring platforms up to take out the slack? won't alter the ride height that much surely, whats the length of the shocks/springs

[Edited on [1273045614R0=073131p: by philw]

Must try harder

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
With a tiny amount of compression, the ride height is 110mm, which gives far too much rake (front set at 80mm as min ride height in RGB is 75mm). I dropped it 5mm before my last race at the rear (before spring and damper change) and it made a positive difference in the handling at the rear.

Shock are 12.5" open, springs are 7", longer springs won't help as its he amount the springs compress under static load

[Edited on 5/5/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Jon Ison

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Shorter springs/make new pick up points/softer springs same length so you can preload ?

edited for speeling

[Edited on 5/5/10 by Jon Ison]

TimC

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
What about machining inserts or thicker platforms - how much do you think you need?

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
What about machining inserts or thicker platforms - how much do you think you need?

that won't work as it will raise the ride height, there needs to be more compression of the spring at the required ride height to allow some compression at droop. Its gonna have to be weak helper springs i think

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

carpmart

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Helper springs are for just this problem. It's your only solution!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
the only real answer is to get shorter dampers

nope, that still doesn't affect ride height, anyway, i can't go shorter as will not have enough travel

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Helper springs are for just this problem. It's your only solution!

Any suggestions on suppliers that aren't horrifically priced for a bit of wound flat steel??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Jon Ison

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Mike, just my humble opinion but don't go for helper springs, your going to end up with two different spring rates and also introduce some roll during hard cornering, your racing it yea ?

Shorter springs, move the mounts (are the rear shocks upright or angled ?) or go for slightly softer springs that you can pre load, slightly softer springs will help with rear end grip to, without seeing the car and what your trying to achieve this is the advice I would give.

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Mike, just my humble opinion but don't go for helper springs, your going to end up with two different spring rates and also introduce some roll during hard cornering, your racing it yea ?

Shorter springs, move the mounts (are the rear shocks upright or angled ?) or go for slightly softer springs that you can pre load, slightly softer springs will help with rear end grip to, without seeing the car and what your trying to achieve this is the advice I would give.

Yeah racing. I've just gone for softer springs, and the same length as before and now expiriencing this due to slightly more droop available from the new dampers. I'm hoping they will settle and become tight. The helper springs are only like 4lbs, so not really contributing to anything, just enough to keep tension. I don't want to go softer than i am already, not yet anyway.

Oh and its a live axle, fury, so lots of work to change pick up points, its not a simple change.

P.s. I'm actually called austen, not mike

[Edited on 5/5/10 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify...
Are you saying that before you fitted these, the springs were rattling aroung on the shocker body, ie not held between top and bottom spring platform?

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Just to clarify...
Are you saying that before you fitted these, the springs were rattling aroung on the shocker body, ie not held between top and bottom spring platform?

No they weren't not with old springs and dampers. All purely down to the fact the new dampers have slightly more travel, although i would have expected the softer springs to compensate for this (dropped from 225 to 180)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

rallyingden

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
On tarmac set up I had with the rally car I had similar problems but ended up just lockwiring the spring to the bottom seat to stop it moving about ...... worked a treat

RD

MK9R

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
On tarmac set up I had with the rally car I had similar problems but ended up just lockwiring the spring to the bottom seat to stop it moving about ...... worked a treat

RD

Now thats a bloody good (cheap) idea!! LOL! An internal guide would be needed to stop it falling off the seat aswell though

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Just to clarify...

No they weren't not with old springs and dampers. All purely down to the fact the new dampers have slightly more travel, although i would have expected the softer springs to compensate for this (dropped from 225 to 180)

Yes, but surely the spring lenth is set, as is the damper lenght and the 2 should be matched?

Alan M

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
can't you use adjustable bump stops?

These were fitted to Toyota sports car suspension in the 80's

TimC

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, I'd misunderstood your problem.

Just get your hand in your pocket Son. Merlin have some good stuff but, by God, does it cost - I went through this with ARB bits.

Then again, think about what your new dampers/springs have cost compaed to those on the SABRE!! (Holy Sh1t!)

Frosty

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't cut corners with it. Helper springs and extra platforms are the cheapest proper way to run the target ride height. Do make sure that you have enough travel left in the damper when running short springs though, especially with a soft spring.
Neville Jones

posted on 5/5/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do the job properly, once, and fit the right length springs. The suggestions above fix the symptom, not the problem. When softening the springs, you often have to go an inch or so longer.

Faulkners list 7", 8",9", 10",10.5", then 12" and up.

Cheers,
Nev.

Frosty

posted on 5/5/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Do the job properly, once, and fit the right length springs. The suggestions above fix the symptom, not the problem. When softening the springs, you often have to go an inch or so longer.

Faulkners list 7", 8",9", 10",10.5", then 12" and up.

Cheers,
Nev.

So then how does the OP achieve the ride height required with a longer spring?

Presumably the reason the spring is too short at full droop is because a longer spring would not allow the desired ride height at its lowest setting. You have to make the decision to run a shorter spring when the current one is still too high for the desired ride height when adjusted as low as possible. Going shorter will often leave the spring loose at full droop.

There is nothing wrong with a helper spring. They exist for exactly this problem. A longer spring is not the answer.

ReMan

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Surely this is achieved by the corect spring /damper lenth combo?
Am I missing something?

Ahdammit

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why not make some check straps out of an old seatbelt or similar to stop the shocks extending too far?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.