Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust sealing... options?
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/5/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust sealing... options?

Hi Folks,

I'm building a motorcycle up as a project at the moment, it uses a honda c90 lump, the issue is the only exhaust that will fit the frame and has an exhaust flange that fits the stud pattern is a bit small and weedy.

This isn't a massive problem, as power is not a concern, its just for my little lad to learn on. The problem arrises when I try to get the smaller OD of the exhaust to sit in the larger OD exhaust port, as it isn't a tight fit (approx 5mm all round) - whilst the flange will hold it in place fine, I am concerned I will not seal the exhaust very well.

So I'm thinking a large copper crushable washer sat in the exhuaust port, taking out the difference in the OD of port (note the ID of the port/exhaust is roughly the same, so that isn't a problem) and any slight implerfections on the two faces mating (I have had to rebend the exhaust a bit to get it to fit).

Are there any other options? Do people agree that the copper washer is a good starting point?

Cheers

luke_stephenson

posted on 11/5/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
o-ring of suitable temp rating?? just a thought

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.