Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery RiP?
richard thomas

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Battery RiP?

Battery flat again after the little one has been sat in the car and flicked the lights on without me knowing (little bugger - but at least he likes playing 'cars'...)

Standard Yausha bike battery...tried the battery charger on it but it wouldn't accept a charge even after an hour.

I suspect that I am right in assuming that it's knacked? Second one i've been through now...they ain't cheap!

Anyone got a trick up their sleeve to give it the kiss of life, or am I spending again?

minitici

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a standard battery charger or some form of smart charger.
Some of the smart chargers can't recover a totally dead battery.
Whereas a good old battery charger can put some power back in.

RazMan

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
The Optimate charger can probably bring it back from the dead - it has saved me £££s over the years I have owned it

http://www.accumate.co.uk/it010003.htm

[Edited on 16-5-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Are you using a standard battery charger or some form of smart charger.
Some of the smart chargers can't recover a totally dead battery.
Whereas a good old battery charger can put some power back in.

Thats the wrong way round

Ive only found that propper smart chargers can only charge up a dead battery, ive managed to recover my motorbike battery 4 times now with a propper smart charger

richard thomas

posted on 15/5/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords charger/maintenance charger...

Wonder if it will kick in if I leave it on for longer - I gave it a fair while but the charge light wouldn't come on...

SteveWalker

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Halfords charger/maintenance charger...

Wonder if it will kick in if I leave it on for longer - I gave it a fair while but the charge light wouldn't come on...

I've found with those (and other "smart" chargers) that they see a very low battery voltage, decide a cell is down and refuse to charge. If you've got access to a good old dumb charger, then a couple of hours on that, to get some charge in and the voltage up, will probably allow you to switch over to the "smart" charger.

I've done this a couple of times with my kit and my wife's tin-top (she's been ill, so not driving and every so often I remember that I've not switched the charger over to the other vehicle and it's died.)

minitici

posted on 16/5/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Steve on this - he managed to explain it a bit better.
I have one of those Halfords maintenance chargers and they won't work if the battery is totally flat.

[Edited on 16/5/10 by minitici]

Nick DV

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Save yourself a lot of hassle and money in the long run, buy this it will last ya forever http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Electrical_Components/Batteries/Odyssey_Extreme_Racing_20_Battery/1447/0/14625 & http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Electrical_Components/Battery_Chargers_&_Conditioners/CTEK_CTEK36_Battery_Charger/1448/0/14657

If you shop around you may get a better price but D/Tweeks did a bit of a deal when I got mine from them

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

richard thomas

posted on 16/5/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
Save yourself a lot of hassle and money in the long run, buy this it will last ya forever http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Electrical_Components/Batteries/Odyssey_Extreme_Racing_20_Battery/1447/0/14625 & http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Electrical_Components/Battery_Chargers_&_Conditioners/CTEK_CTEK36_Battery_Charger/1448/0/14657

If you shop around you may get a better price but D/Tweeks did a bit of a deal when I got mine from them

Cheers, Nick

Thanks, might well get one - not much more expensive...

MkII

posted on 16/5/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a bike battery going sprare, make me an offer if your interested .m.
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've already ressurected my BEC battery using a dumb charger with low Ah (1,5Ah) for 24 hrs... did the trick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.