Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting a bonnet
philw

posted on 20/5/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Painting a bonnet

Right i need to paint my bonnet, I have had it painted but it's the wrong colour, so what do i need? i've bought the paint 2k, i take it i will need hardener, what else? and how do i mix it?

Must try harder

tomprescott

posted on 20/5/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hardener, thinners, a decent paint mask, lots of fine sanding paper, and a lot of man hours, perhaps a primer/filler too?

The 2k I used was 60/30 thinners and paint +10% hardener. I mixed in a plastic measuring jug (stolen from the kitchen) and didn't have problems, mixed with a stick fo about three minutes before putting into the paint reservoir.
Good luck

[Edited on 20/5/10 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

doddy

posted on 20/5/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
its nomally 2 to 1 paint and hardner the up to 10% thinners to get the right thinknes thats what i did then maybe some 1500 grit or 2000 grit sand paper wet to get rid of any orange peel or marks then a polish with a mop then wax
gingerprince

posted on 20/5/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
You'll also need a teflon coating for all the comments (rightly) about how you'll poison yourself without the right aparatus
blakep82

posted on 20/5/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
You'll also need a teflon coating for all the comments (rightly) about how you'll poison yourself without the right aparatus

true you do need the correct safety gear, but you will be told you will die instantly from even thinking about it. thats not true.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 20/5/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince

true you do need the correct safety gear, but you will be told you will die instantly from even thinking about it. thats not true.

That's not true. It's not an instant death, quite a slow painful one

RK

posted on 21/5/10 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
What is wrong with acrylic enamel?? Why take a chance on that 2 k deadly crap? There has to be a reason so many mechanics get cancer - it can't all be from the oils etc.
Brommers

posted on 21/5/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
What is wrong with acrylic enamel?? Why take a chance on that 2 k deadly crap? There has to be a reason so many mechanics get cancer - it can't all be from the oils etc.

Well, it could be. Used engine oil is highly carcenogenic, as are some of the compounds (like benzene) put in modern unleaded fuels.

But yes, 2k paint is very nasty stuff. As with most things, if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment, you'll be fine. While it is pretty nasty stuff, not breathing the spray, the fumes it gives off while curing and not getting it on your skin will mean you're fine - it's not, as some people suggest, a question of anyone who so much as looks as the stuff will die as a result.

If you know don't what you're doing and don't have the right equipment, there's a significant risk that using 2k paint will, if not kill you, then give you some very nasty health issues and significantly shorten your lifespan.

[Edited on 21/5/10 by Brommers]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.