Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help Peugeot 106 1.1 cooling problem
sonic

posted on 21/5/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Help Peugeot 106 1.1 cooling problem

Hello all,could anybody give me any idea's on the following problem please

2000 W Pug 106 1100cc injection petrol

My radiator started leaking found to be rotten,bought a new radiator and fitted it filled with water and anti freeze and now i have a strange problem

As soon as i turn the ignition on the cooling fan starts running even thought the engine is cold! and also on these they don't have a temp gauge but a light that comes on when they are to hot,the light comes on with the ignition and stays on when the engine is started even though it is cold.

Never did it before swopping the rad and there is no electrical connections on the rad at all so nothing electrical has been touched.

The car drives fine no overheating or anything even when hot

Any ideas would be great.
In have taken the fan fuse out but the light stays on!
I have taken the wires off the temp senders on the head and the fan still runs and the light stays on and the thermostat is working find and top and bottom hoses are warm as is the heater when at running temp

???

Thanks

DRC INDY 7

posted on 21/5/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you have a air lock have you bleed it through the bleed points on the engine and heater hose

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

sonic

posted on 21/5/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
No its not airlocked

Water round all the system,heater nice and warm top and bottom hoses warm.

As soon as you put the key in the ignition even if it is clap cold the problem occurs so it couldnt be caused by an airlock

Thanks for you help

tomprescott

posted on 21/5/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Electrical connection of the fan cowling could have come loose while taking out the radiator? Odd that it happens straight away on start-up - definitely an electrical problem.

A bird in the hand....

Mark G

posted on 21/5/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you've accidentally disconnected your cooling fan switch / coolant temp sensor. They are fail safe so if it is unplugged or broken the fan runs to protect the engine. Most cars of that type have the switch in the rad but if you say it's not then it may be worth looking for the switch either in the thermostat housing, cyl head or top rad hose.
sonic

posted on 24/5/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all just an update for you

Sorted out my problem,pluged it in to a code reader and reset the ECU job done.

It would appear if the temp sensor in the head detects air rarther than water it tells the ECU which controls the fan and the temp light to go in to panic mode.

Reset it and bingo! lucky my mate has a code reader as Peugeot want £60 for the privelidge!! all because i replaced the radiator,common problem so i am told.

The way your ment to bleed them is not start the engine but use a manual pump to push the water around the engine whilst opening the bleed valves on the rad and the heater hoses,once you have water at both points then you can start the car.

Hope this helps somebody else in future

Thanks for the previous replies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.