Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: With saftey crew like this you are in real trouble
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
With saftey crew like this you are in real trouble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgFK5M2PRM

Bartocci's Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 race car goes out of control and slams into the wall at the track in Brno, Czech Republic during the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo, which is the world's fastest one-make series. It's almost immediately engulfed and the driver struggles to escape the flaming wreckage. Instead of freeing the driver two track safety workers try to put the fire out — mostly by spraying the pavement with semi-functioning extinguishers.

No one seems to focus on actually removing the driver and a safety truck in the background nearly backs over someone. You also see another official trying to put out the fire from the grandstand before someone who knows what they're doing grabs it out of the guy's hands.

The driver's not freed until a minute later when one of his co-drivers and crewmembers eventually yank him from the melting car after running there from the pits. Numerous other track personal stand around as this happens, seemingly ambivalent to the fact there's a driver in there. Perhaps it's normal safety procedures at this track to have the two guys not in safety gear to rescue the driver, but it doesn't seem right.

The driver is reportedly awake and off a respirator with broken ribs, a broken leg and second-degree burns over 40% of his body.

richardh

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
arent they left hand drive?

[Edited on 26/5/10 by richardh]

Time for a change!

balidey

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thank god they managed to stop the track surface from burning. That stuff is hard to replace you know, you can't just lay a new surface on top.

I hope some people got a serious kick up the ass for their actions after that.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Tipster69

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
that's bloody terrible

That wasn't good to watch, should be used as educational material on "How Not To Marshall".

bob tatt

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
what a bunch of clowns.
i hope they seriously review fire training and preservation of life rather than a limp of metal which is what they appear to be trying to save.

55ant

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
driver rescue aside, it truely shows how completely inefective two fire extinguishers are at putting out a fire of a size possible in motorsport.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

nick205

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Horrible to watch

Reading that the driver survived however does reinforce greatly the reasons for wearing the correct race wear and the outright performance of modern clothing.

mookaloid

posted on 26/5/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I could see potential for that happening almost anywhere in the world including here.

That was just a bunch of marshalls doing their best in an extreme situation. Marshalls are not professionals and are usually volunteers so give them a break I say.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MK9R

posted on 26/5/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
OMG!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deezee

posted on 26/5/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
It reminds me of the horror of that crash at Fuji were the drivers face melted off, and the marshals did nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGtUMCB0IY&feature=related

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/5/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I could see potential for that happening almost anywhere in the world including here.

That was just a bunch of marshalls doing their best in an extreme situation. Marshalls are not professionals and are usually volunteers so give them a break I say.

This type of thing happens at meetings all over the world.
Was reading some car mag in tesco about a driver getting bollocked for rescuing a fellow driver in a recent gt race.Aparently he wasnt wearing the correct gear and never used the correct extraction equipment.

I recall a f1 driver lost his life at Kyalami after he collected a marshall with a fire extinguiser running across the track.
Yep marks right ..Zilspeed will be along soon.....the guys are volenteers that they try thier best and with out them our sport would just not exist. More often than not they are supplying thier own gear to marshall in. Gortex wet weather jacket good at the waterproofing not so good at the fireproofing.

We used to do marshaling at the powerboat races many moons ago and it is hard going sitting in the sun for the whole day at one posting.
Yes you get a nice position and a burger for lunch but once your on station thats it for the day.

Training is very basic and the equipment is very rudimentry.

Just whilst we are on this subject the scrutineers should have stipulated on board fire suppression and a explosafe fuel cell.
These lambos seem to burn very well..with a high percentage of cf resin it comes with the ground

[Edited on 26-5-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

bob tatt

posted on 26/5/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
poor bloke
eddie99

posted on 26/5/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thats terrible! Good on those people that saved him in the end!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 26/5/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I can only go on my personal experience, and after having watched the marshalls at that track last year (my mate and i rocked up to watch moto-gp) the marashals were very competant and proessional in every way over the whole weekend.

not sure if moto-gp carts about their own marshalls, but every marshal we spoke to on the weekend was Czech, so maybe this incident was a "one-off" of all the wrong things occurring at the wrong time so to speak

turboben

posted on 26/5/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I know the marshals do their best and they arent paid and supply there own gear but why. If the track get to use free labour at least pay to kit them up properly and train them!
scootz

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I guess there will be some Firemen on soon to provide meaningful comment, but my thoughts (FWTW) are that the guys blasting the track are trying to drive the fire path away from the potential rescue point (drivers door). The second they stop doing this, the area will just ignite again making any rescue impossible.

Easy to pass damning comment when you're not there feeling the heat and have no idea how a petrol fed fire behaves.

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I guess there will be some Firemen on soon to provide meaningful comment, but my thoughts (FWTW) are that the guys blasting the track are trying to drive the fire path away from the potential rescue point (drivers door). The second they stop doing this, the area will just ignite again making any rescue impossible.

Easy to pass damning comment when you're not there feeling the heat and have no idea how a petrol fed fire behaves.

Yep spot on IMHO

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

zilspeed

posted on 26/5/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been that guy standing at the side with a couple of fire extinguishers many times. To be fair, I've only done it at the hills, never at a race meeting.

You have a foam filled and a powder filled extinguisher, a brush and shovel for sweeping up after an off at your corner and maybe a bucket of cement too if you're lucky. Other than that, it's some bright orange overalls, a ticket for your luch and thanks for coming.

At all the ones I've done, without exception, it's always been a case of hoping that enough people turn up on the day.
It's not unheard of for a call to go across the PA in the paddock asking any hangers on to get suited up for some marshalling or the meeting won't go ahead.
Other times, there are too many marshalls, but that is highly unsual.

You'll have noticed that I haven't mentioned fire extinguisher training here.
That's because there hasn't been any.
I'm led to believe that the circuits are entirely different in this respect.

You do it because it's drummed into us all that without the marshalls there is no motorsport, and that's 100% true.
I also know that at my local hill the first people to be thanked at prizegiving are the marshalls. They're never there though, they've had enough and buggered off long before that point.

By that point you've had enough.

You've been on station all day, possibly on your own, with only some radio chatter for company. Lunch time is barely long enough to go and get fed far less check out the paddock and speak to people.

I'll be taking a year off from being an orange suited hero this year.

Regards the boys in that clip. They're doing their best for a sport they love as much as we do. Probably more.

More disappointing is that the onboard fire system did sod all. It should have discharged into both the car and the engine bay, but if the driver was out for the count, it's not going to activate itself.

Browser

posted on 26/5/10 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:

I recall a f1 driver lost his life at Kyalami after he collected a marshall with a fire extinguiser running across the track.

Tom Pryce, driving for Shadow, in 1978 if memory serves. On one of the fastest parts of the track he crested a rise slightly behind and to the right of another driver, to find a marshall legging it accross the circuit with an extinguisher. The marshall was killed by the impact, Tom Pryce was decapitated.

Ian-B

posted on 26/5/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure that post and some of the responses are entirely justified.
The video is from the wrong side of the incident to be able to make a fair assessment of whether the actions of the marshalls were correct or not. They would not have known whether a rapid extrication would work (car had a very heavy front impact so there is significant risk of the driver being physically trapped), attempting and extrication would of meant the marshall would be unable to provide any covering protection with the extinguisher or tackle the fire, which if the driver was trapped would have reduced the chances of survival. We are unable to see if the driver is effectively being protected from the worst of the fire, based on the reports (although unconfirmed) it appears that the driver suffered relatively modest burns, which would indicate that either by chance or by intervention he was protected from the worst of the fire.
The fire in the cockpit area appears to be under control a few seconds following the driver being extricated.

Generally marshalls are recommended to not move an injured driver and make the scene safe, however if due to uncontrollable fire or other life threatening risk to remove the driver, but marshalls do not have suitable protection to enter and extricate from a burning vehicle, the overals are fire retardant, but your head is usually unprotected (although in this case the marshalls were wearing helmets that would give limited protection), and are trained to ensure that they remain safe.
The equipment being used appears to far from ideal, the fire would have been supressed significantly more quickly and effectively with powder as used in the UK. In terms of response time it was actually very good, there are plently of places on UK circuits where the first response would take longer.
There appear to be mistakes being made, watching remotely it is easy for me to think how I would approach it differently to those marshalls, however I cannot say that I would have been able to approach that incident and not have made any mistakes.
Finally most experienced marshalls will fortunately have never of dealt with an incident like this, and despite doing plenty of training including fire training on cars, I have never seen a training scenario that would accurately represent, or fully prepare for, an incident like this.

Ian

scootz

posted on 26/5/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
Tom Pryce was decapitated.

No he wasn't... he suffered massive (and fatal) head injuries, but his head was still attached to his neck.

The decapitation story came about due to his helmet strap ripping through part of his neck just below the jaw-line.

It's Evolution Baby!

richardh

posted on 26/5/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
are they not left hand drive?
just from looking at it again it seems the fire is mostly on the right and if they'd got to him on the left (if it was a lefty) then he might have bee out quicker.

easy to say all this and all too sweeping and generalising without the pressure of the incident itself.

hope he recovers and that lessons are learned to make things safer for all motorsport.

totally all IMHO though with no knowledge of motorsport

Time for a change!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.