Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about the donor
Livio

posted on 29/5/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking about the donor

What's your opinion about using a Fiat 2.0 20V as a donor in a mid engine? Is it too heavy and instead I should go for a Honda?

Is there any sense of putting together an inline engine with some kind of transaxle transmission somehow? Just like for example a Honda engine with a Subaru or Audi transmission. (Honda has light alloy cases with good power and this way its CoG would be closer to the center of the car)
An other option is using a Subaru but the engines I can afford are SOHC. I don't know how tunable they are.

I don't want the engine to be much more than 2 litres and of course the project should be kept locost.

I have so many ideas in my head in connection with donors that I have to discuss it with somebody (or everybody. )

big_wasa

posted on 29/5/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Why not ?

Going midi and you can use what you want.

Honda engines tend to be dear. I was looking at sticking one in an Mg.

Alfa v6 ? cheap and plenty of go
Mg zs 180 cheap and plenty of go

What about a gti6 engine and box 167 bhp from a 2L four banger and a 6 speed box. They are all alloy and cheap.

[Edited on 29/5/10 by big_wasa]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/5/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota Camry 3L V6 1MZ-FE. I'll be putting one in my mk1 MR2. Good for 220bhp with a decent exhaust, reliable, all alloy. The early ones are 1994 so hopefully get by on the pre cat emissions. Bolts straight to a MR2 mk2 turbo gearbox / flywheel (which can be got with an LSD pretty cheaply
iank

posted on 29/5/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 24v V6 2.5 Duratec from the Mondeo (has a cable change gearbox as standard which really helps when moving it to the back of a car). 200bhp just by removing the cats and almost free.

RazMan has one in his middy. (check out his photo archive - "Chassis" section is a good start.

Other Side
Other Side

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Livio

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the slow reaction. I had to check this Ford V6 engine. It is an exciting option although it seems a bit big and heavy.
I think I will be looking for an engine package built in longitudinal with a transaxle gearbox. I want to push the CoG of the engine as forward and low as possible.
Thanks for the good advices.

Anyway Razman's car looks crazy with that engine. I like that. Nice build.

Fred W B

posted on 1/6/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

engine package built in longitudinal with a transaxle gearbox

One thats comes to mind is a 5 cylinder Audi. (late 80's early 90's 500E, 9000)Suparuss on here is buiding a car with that drivetrain.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Livio

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good idea I will check it.
suparuss

posted on 2/6/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
hi livio, i got your u2u.
sorry i did weight the engine adn gear box at one point but that was a good few years ago adn cant remember what the weight was.
i would say there are definately lighter options out there in any case, as the bottom end is cast steel. power can be had from them, especially the turbo versions but dont think it would be worth te effort, other than the weight, these engines are going on for 25 years old now!
most of the modern audi engines are longitudinal though so may be worth looking at something newer.
take a look at carfolio, it lists a lot of usefull information about cars and the engines, including stock bhp/torque, engine layout etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.