Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what to look out for on a yaris
Rek

posted on 30/5/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
what to look out for on a yaris

Hi

looking at a 2000 yaris... any obvious gotcha's to look for (its an auto 1.3 vvti)

Guihanos

posted on 30/5/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Yaris for 3 years and the only problem I had with it was a gearbox bearing went off. But with 145000 miles it's quite normal...

As you have an auto I can't see something go wrong. Toyota are the most reliable car for me.

Ivan

posted on 30/5/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know much about it except also heard of gearbox problems.

Oh - and they suddenly accelerate when you aren't looking but fortunately their performance is bad enough that you have time to dial 911 for help before getting into serious trouble.

Sorry - ignore the above - like all Toyota's you can't go much wrong.

stevec

posted on 30/5/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Look out for 2 of them, One for each foot.

Steve.

dogwood

posted on 30/5/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has a Yaris as her company car.
D4D. So no idea on the autos
Now on her 3rd one, No complains at all.

She reckons the old ones are far better than the new ones.
Bit of a shopping trolley, but can kick up its heals when pushed. She also drives a MX5 so she should know

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Check that the service history is up to date - Toyotas are extremely reliable as long as they get their regular once-over. Most parts are quite cheap.

I've just replaced mine after 9 years of motoring. Only significant fault was the front brake discs corroding on the inside face - the one you can't see. I suspect that the caliper wasn't floating properly. Very easy to fix myself - new discs and pads came to just over £100.

Minor issues were:
The rear wiper spindle corroding and making grinding noises - stripped it, polished the spindle with fine emery cloth and re-assembled it with lots of grease.
Front wiper mechanism started to squeak - sprayed some lube over it and that was OK (apart from it trying to chew my thumb when I wasn't looking ).

Not bad for 85,000 miles of motoring over 9 years!

COREdevelopments

posted on 30/5/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Im a toyota tech and can highly recommend a yaris! Great cars. I have been working on them since they came out and have never had any issues with them. Only a couple of weeks ago i replaced a timing chain on an 04. But this is the only one i had ever come across. The car in question had not been serviced for a long time. Autos are bombproof and especially if its a 2000 it will be a JAP built car which is even better. later ones were built in france and japan. the new models are all french built
Buy it you wont be dissapointed. I also can get good price service kits if your interested

Rob

David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I can also add that they're not bad to drive either! Mine was a 1300 SR, which basically means: same engine, slightly lowered suspension, wider alloys and boy racer trim.

Can't speak for the automatic, but mine handled well (very predictable with no vices) and returned 33-35mpg in traffic and well over 40mpg on the motorway.

A bit noisy at 70mph, but mine did have the boy racer silencer!

Ninehigh

posted on 31/5/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Had one for a while when my car was being un-bended. No complaints really was big enough for me, went faster when you pressed the right pedal. Did quite like the digital dash hidden under a big lens though, that was pretty funky.

Overall great considering my first thought was "Oh no, a grannymobile tinbox!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.