Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help needed vibration
Tezza1

posted on 16/6/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
help needed vibration

I had my diff changed couple of weeks ago from 3.92 to 3.62 When it went into garage it was driving great but when I picked it up and got up to about 60mph It felt auful vibration through the car and steering , took it back to garage and he had it a week he said they was nothing wrong with the prop and he couldnt feel that much vibration he charged me another £140 and I drove home but soon as I get to 60mph I get vibration going through car. What can I do, any ideas
r1_pete

posted on 16/6/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
£140 for a test drive, cheeky git!!

Can you turn the prop 180 degrees on the diff flange, I remember replacing the clutch on Dads HB Viva many years ago, first fit we got such vibration, he turned the prop as above and all was ok.

Can't remember if you can bolt ford props up 180 degrees opposite, but its a no cost 1st attempt.

[Edited on 16/6/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
take rear wheels off clean surfaces I had a problem years back it was the wheels not seating properley on the hubs

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

clairetoo

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
1 - remove prop
2 - take back to the bloke who charged £140 to not fix the fault
3 -use it to beat the £140 out of him....................

[Edited on 16/6/10 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

BenB

posted on 16/6/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
1 - remove prop
2 - take back to the bloke who charged £140 to not fix the fault
3 -use it to beat the £140 out of him....................

[Edited on 16/6/10 by clairetoo]

alexcraiggtv

posted on 16/6/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've got this exact prob it seems. at 60ish when cruising but goes away when under load. The last time it happened the front yolk went on the prop and destroyed my clutch and fuel rail. All been done but nasty vibration and noise has come back. Be carefull, if it is the prop it will reak havoc as you stop.

Not yet KATO!

Tezza1

posted on 17/6/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair to the garage he did fix my speedo and unblocked a blockage in fuel which was causing a bit of a problem but I still think it was a bit steep.

When i get to 60mph it starts, but gets very severe the higher I go at 100 it is horrible to drive.

Bluemoon

posted on 17/6/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tezza1
To be fair to the garage he did fix my speedo and unblocked a blockage in fuel which was causing a bit of a problem but I still think it was a bit steep.

When i get to 60mph it starts, but gets very severe the higher I go at 100 it is horrible to drive.

Get it sorted. I'd not drive over 60, apart from a quick test to see if it's fixed... Just go through every thing systematically, when did it start? Did you change anything?

dan

MikeR

posted on 17/6/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had all your wheels checked for balance? He may have knocked a wheel weight off.
iank

posted on 17/6/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
How does he know the prop is ok without putting it on a balancing machine?

They could have knocked a balance weight off the prop, you can check visually for a missing square of paint (assuming it was painted). If it was dropped when they removed it to fit the diff then it could even be slightly bent (which he probably doesn't want to pay for!)

Wheels also need checking on a machine.

The only other possibility (assuming it was properly fitted) is the diff he fitted has a problem.

If he's saying it's not bad I'd take him for a test drive, and make sure he knows if it lets go then it's a 50:50 chance he'll lose his leg.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Tezza1

posted on 17/6/10 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just give car back to garage that changed diff told him Im not happy and he said he wud put the other diff back in, he is adament that its not the prop but the diff.
Hes stopping back tonight to do it and i can pick it up 10 oclock. fingers crossed I will be able to drive it to Newark.

Tezza1

posted on 18/6/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just driven 15miles home and at 60mph its bloody auful and the faster i go the more vibration I get when I ease off gas and it slows down until it goes under 60mph its got horrible vibration

Im setting off early to drive to newark and Im really sick and not looking forward to drive now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.