Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to register an old imported car?
DIY Si

posted on 18/6/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
How to register an old imported car?

Howdy one and all,

Following on from my recent which classic to update thread, I have now been offered a 1969 MK IV Austin Healey Sprite. Only problem is that is has been imported back to the UK from the States some time ago but never registered here as it's not been used on the road.

I'm planning on rebuilding the car with a K series and everything else that goes with doing it such as brakes suspension and so on. Any one know the best way to go about getting it registered and a V5 issued in my name? All I have at the moment is a VIN number and literally no other paperwork at all.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

r1_pete

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
It depends where it was imported from as to what forms and declarations you need.

This DVLA guide has all the info you need.

If you have no documentation at all I fear you are in for a trying time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike S

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would give the local DVLA office a call.

Or better still, drop in and talk to someone.

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

austin man

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
or easier still buy the basket case off ebay if you know what I mean and reshell it. you get a few spares to boot

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

austin man

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
PS if your after any I have a set of Midget lowered and uprated front springs and a set of Half shafts from a 1275 Midget which are stronger items. Bought them for my Austin A35 fitted front springs but removed them when I sold the car

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Humbug

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Is there any information (even if not in writing) about exactly where it was imported from, when, by whom?

I'm pretty sure that "reimporting" a UK-made car such as a classic means there should be no duty, etc.

For registering, I think that the DVLA has a list of authorised bodies e.g. classic car clubs who have registers of chassis numbers etc. so that when it eventually comes to it you should (=might...) be able to get an age-related plate. It would probably be worth contacting the Austin Healey club or e.g. MG club, as they must have members who have imported US cars and had to re-register them.

Good luck!

r1_pete

posted on 18/6/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
There is definately duty to be paid re-importin, as no UK duty was paid when new, taxman wants his cut.

Form C&E 386, or its equivallent at the time is needed to prove duty has been paid.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 18/6/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
It was imported/repatriated from the USA, but I have no idea when, nor does the guy I'm buying it off. When I say I have no paperwork, I really mean it. I'll have a bill of sale/receipt from him, but that will be it.
I'll give the MGOC a ring, as suggested, and see what they say as this must have come up before.

Austin man, thanks for the offer of parts, but the idea is to K series it, so I'll probably have to go to EN40 half shafts to avoid any issues.
PS, cheers for the Ebay hint.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

austin man

posted on 18/6/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
pity it wasnt an Austin a35 van as I have the V5 for one of those somewhere,

Frontline do some uprated stuff for the midget Suspension and K series conversions etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.