Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bump steer
joolsmi16

posted on 18/6/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
bump steer

Hi all, my F27 is suffering with bump steering apart from moving the rack up/down is there anything else I can try first??

Cheers

Jools

jack_t

posted on 18/6/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
increase castor angle

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/6/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can get some bump steer if the rack isn't centralised (i.e. left-right). But that doesn't help you really.

I managed to sort mine out by elongating the steering rack holes and sliding the rack down a bit (this lowered it and moved it forward) by a few mm.

I used a laser pointer on the wheel, took off the sping/damper and moved it up and down by hand until the laser spot moved up and down (on the distant fence). Quite a pain in the bum, but gratifying once it is right. Be aware that adjusting one side of the rack affects both wheels in opposite senses so the process is a bit iterative.

Matt

whitestu

posted on 18/6/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've just sorted the bump steer on my Indy. Get the suspension settings as you want and then adujust the rack position to dial out bump steer.

I used a laser on a wheel with a vertical line on the gararge wall, and moved the car up and down on a jack with the shocks disconnected.
If the laser tracks the vertical line then no bump steer [mine didn't to start with].

Caster won't affect bump steer.

stu

joolsmi16

posted on 18/6/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
bump steer

Thanks all, will have a look to see if I can move the rack to dial it out..
Bluemoon

posted on 19/6/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Thanks all, will have a look to see if I can move the rack to dial it out..

Yep, job on my list two, will do as Stu above.. Not to hard to do, just need a bag of spaces (washers I guess) and patience!

Dan

RazMan

posted on 19/6/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Caster won't affect bump steer.

Just a thought here - if moving the rack forward / backward affects bump steer then surely rotating the uprights to give more / less castor will affect bump steer as the trackrod ends will be moved with the uprights, changing their orientation with the rack.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 19/6/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just a thought here - if moving the rack forward / backward affects bump steer then surely rotating the uprights to give more / less castor will affect bump steer as the trackrod ends will be moved with the uprights, changing their orientation with the rack.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense, but unless you have changed / modified the wishbones castor isn't adjustable on an Indy and also, getting rid of bump steer usually involves lifting the rack [or at least it did for me]. Changing castor will move the pivots backwards or forwards.

However changing castor will move the pivots up / down very slightly and lifting the rack will move things very slightly forwards.

Stu

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.