Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BLADE electrical fault...HELP?
cashy

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
BLADE electrical fault...HELP?

blade electrical fault...HELP

I need some help guys. I have a problem with the electrics on my westy blade. On the way to Northampton on Saturday the car died on me and the result was that the battery was completely flat and so the car wouldnt run. Got sorted out with a new battery and the car ran great for the next 150 miles.

On the way back from the Chester show yesterday the car started to show the same symptoms as Saturday, started to refuse to rev over 6k and then eventually just stopped. Same again battery dead.

I have re charged the new battery now and the car starts no problem, checked to see if the engine is re charging the battery and it is DEFO charging.

Has anyone got any ideas what to look for next?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Berwyn

posted on 24/5/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
If your sure the alternator is charging, then this is a strange one. On the blade there are 3 wires from the alternator that go to the regulator. Out of the regulator you should be getting 12-15v charge. Does this voltage increase when you rev the engine ? and have you put an amp meter between the +v out of the regulator and the battery ? this would tell you how much charge the battery is taking.
It is possible that it is charging, but you are using more juice than your putting back in. Was anything else running in the car at the same time, i.e. wipers, heater, headlights, aircon .
I remember W******ld saying they have built several factory built BEC's to order that had heaters, wipers, etc spec'd by the customer. When collected on a rainy day, they drove home with both heater + wipers on. They recieved a few calls from people who had broke down on the M40 due to flat batteries !!.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

cashy

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

No heaters, wipers or anything else, only thing i used was brake lights and indicators!!! Its showing 14.5 volt from reg to batt?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Berwyn

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Does that voltage increase when you rev ?, check out the current its drawing next with the amp meter.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

cashy

posted on 24/5/04 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Off into garage in a bit to have a look around and get the multi metre out. you have u2u
cashy

posted on 24/5/04 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
HI,

The rectifier looks like the standard blade one. The conenctions look like they are burnt a little, or rusted brown. I have just started the car up and the rectifier gets very very hot, is this norm?

I tested the battery voltage before starting the car: 12v

During engine running: 14.4 v

Tested the connections to the rectifier whilst running: Red wire 3 v
Green 0.01 v
Yellow wire above green 15v
Middle yellow wire 15 v
Yellow wire above red wire 15 v

What do you think?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/5/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi cashy

The rectifier does get hot, its the main reason they fail cos they cook themselves. Ive put an old Athlon processor heatsink / fan on mine which seems to do the trick and keep it cool

Having never had any electrical gremlins Im not particularly clued up on diagnosing electrics, but Id say the likely cause is the rectifier judging from what others have suffered in the past on the BEC liat. Can you not blag Ryan's one for a test to see if it helps?

cheers

Chris

timcrasher

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Charging problem

Hi, Cashy
Sounds like you definatly have a regulator/rectifier problem. Your car is only running properly until the voltage drops below 11 volts, then the battery isn't being recharged and the car struggles. Like Chris says, they get hot and burn themselves out. It is very common with this particular unit. Genuine ones are quite dear to buy, but you can buy a pattern item for about £ 60, which is almost as cheap as a second hand one.
If the connector looks slightly brown in colour, this is another tell tale sign its the reg/rec failing. Change it quick, or you may damage the alternator windings. If you find a new reg/rec dosen't cure the problem you will need to have the alterator rewound. This costs about £ 80.
Hope this helps
cheers
Tim

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/5/04 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it does come to an alternator re-winding then give me a shout cos Ive got a couple of spare windings from the various engines Ive blown up / dismantled

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
We've put our Regulator Rectifier on a large aluminium plate - which will act kinda like a heat sink - directly behind the snow cone... and angled the plate in such a way as to catch airflow, thereby cooling the unit.

Makes me wonder where your's is?

Brooky

posted on 24/5/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Check the fuse housed in the starter relay block.
Mine did exactly trhe same and that was the casue

cashy

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys guys, the rectifier is mounted on a plate of metal already but it does sound liek its been cooked.

There is some brown paste on the back of it when i took it off, is this some type of cooling paste?

spunky

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cashy
Thanks for all the replys guys, the rectifier is mounted on a plate of metal already but it does sound liek its been cooked.

There is some brown paste on the back of it when i took it off, is this some type of cooling paste?

Brown paste.... sounds like it could be the potting compound the set the components in. If so then it has been a tad warm.

Worried about mine now.

John

cashy

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
when i started it up yesterday to test the charge rate the rectifier got untouchable with heat within 4 mins?

Is this normal?

Hellfire

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
There is also a guy on the Yahoo! forum with the same similar problem and has solved it pretty easily using a regulator with heat sinks on it... is this you?

You may be well advised looking at postings on the yahoo forum too

Link on our website - frontpage!

cashy

posted on 26/5/04 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
no not me......i tried the bec list but couldnt find the search function on the yahoo site!!
Hellfire

posted on 26/5/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cashy the thread start is number

Titled: Blade electrics

Posted: 24th May

By: cashyblade

cashy

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well i fitted a Brand new heat sink with fins a few days ago, started the car, everything OK, engine charging battery at 14.5volts.

Went for a 50 mile spin out, got home and it was still charging and battery was at 12v.

I decided to go out today for a spin to Congleton to drop off a roll over bar, i did about 100 miles and then guess what.........

the symptoms came back agian and i was stranded in a layby awaiting the aa again.

The aa guy put some power into the battery and followed me home, managed to get home but it is now refusing to charge the battery when the engine runs.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Do i need to go to a Honda bike dealer to get things checked out?

The rectifier is located on a metal plate, next to the starter relay on the drivers side, attached to the chassis. Will post pic in a moment.

I have though of re mounting the rectifier down near the alli floor and towards the front of the car near the nosecone to help cooling..

Hellfire

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
It really seems like you have cooked it again... IIUYC the unit is behind the hot engine on a hot day. Sounds like the damage could be done when you've been out for a run and static maybe... no cold airflow at the rear of the engine.

Just my 2p

Peteff

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is that with a new reg/rec or are you still using the overheated one? The old one sounds beyond hope even with a cooler fitted, it looks like time for a new one.
http://www.speednspares.co.uk/acatalog/Regultaor_Rectifiers.html
£50.00 to you sir.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cashy

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
This is with the BRAND new Honda unit.
cashy

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
this is where its mounted on my westy Rescued attachment rectifier1small.jpg
Rescued attachment rectifier1small.jpg

cashy

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
rect

pic 2 Rescued attachment rectifier3small.jpg
Rescued attachment rectifier3small.jpg

cashy

posted on 16/6/04 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a root around and found a 30 amp fuse blown inside this relay next to the rectifier (think its starter relay)

Wouldnt this stop it starting? Rescued attachment fuseblownsmall.jpg
Rescued attachment fuseblownsmall.jpg

OX

posted on 16/6/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
yes

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.