Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: european road trip, suggestion on what rout?
skinned knuckles

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
european road trip, suggestion on what rout?

I'm off on hols with the family soon and for a change we are going to drive to our rented apartment just outside marbella.

we have checked the aa rout planner and our satnav for the most efficient rout but would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for nice places to stay overnight or some must see scenery. we aim to make the journey part of the holiday so its less about getting there in the shortest time possible and more about enjoying the drive. any suggestions welcome so long as it isn't going double the journey time.

cheers

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

smart51

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The mountains on the border of Spain and France are quite nice. I used to drive from Biarritz to Pamplona occasionally with work but used to take the motorways. I'm told by the locals that the mountain roads are very nice.

Pamplona itself is mostly modern but the old town is very pretty and worth a walk round if you're staying over night. The food is good too. The San Fermin festival (bull run)is held there on the 6th of July so you won't find a hotel room that week.

James

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
You've gotta get the Milau Bridge in there one direction or another!

I would *love* to drive across that!

Friends of mine have a flat near Marbella we've stayed at a couple of times. Considered driving there myself in the Locost... then I calculated the fuel cost!

It's a loooong way. Just ask Hicost, he did it in 24hours straight once!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Just googled it.

It's another 135miles on the trip to go via Milau as opposed to straight down to Spain.

Worth it IMO!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

skinned knuckles

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Just googled it.

It's another 135miles on the trip to go via Milau as opposed to straight down to Spain.

Worth it IMO!

Cheers,
James

that was on my list of possible detours SWMBO may need a bit convincing though as she has this thing about heights.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

skibikejohn

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
After cycling through the Pyrenees last summer I would recommend it for a locost. Great bendy roads with little traffic.

Search "Raid Pyrenees" and you will get a lot of route suggestions.

irvined

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
The mountains on the border of Spain and France are quite nice. I used to drive from Biarritz to Pamplona occasionally with work but used to take the motorways. I'm told by the locals that the mountain roads are very nice.

Pamplona itself is mostly modern but the old town is very pretty and worth a walk round if you're staying over night. The food is good too. The San Fermin festival (bull run)is held there on the 6th of July so you won't find a hotel room that week.

The mountain passes through the pyrinees are wonderful, drove the seven over a few last october, and am looking forward to another blat in a week or two (engine rebuild permitting.)

http://irvined.blogspot.com

BenB

posted on 22/6/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
You could do worse than head onto the Tour7 list and see if anyone there has a print-out of the route. They recently did a big tour round Europe.
BenB

posted on 22/6/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have a shoofty here:

http://www.badgerum.com/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Tommy P

posted on 22/6/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Milau for the bridge and round gorge Du Tarn. I did this route in a Caterham some years ago before the bridge was built.
Milau - Mende - Langogne - Privas -Gap - Briancon - Turin.
Crackin!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.