Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Definition of 'recon to AS NEW standard'
loggyboy

posted on 23/6/10 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Definition of 'recon to AS NEW standard'

Is the ruling or general concenus for this?
redscamp

posted on 23/6/10 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
do you mean on ebay or non-ebay?
bj928

posted on 23/6/10 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
i would love to know the definition, my engine and gearbox have only done 500 miles from new, so even though they came out of a salvage car, 500 miles could be classed as new as its not even run in, everything else on the car is brand new.
Humbug

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
If it's for IVA, I beleive that you have to show a receipt from the person who did the reconditioning. 500 miles old is not actually new and if it hasn't been reconditioned (even on paper...) then it wouldn't be "as new" in their eyes AFAIK!. Having said that, presumably it could easily be "reconditioned" (what would need to be done?) by a friendly mechanic and he could give you a ceritifcate saying so?
mad4x4

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
SUre for a g/Box with 500miles a re-con would be change the oil.....

then the paperwork would show "new"

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

smart51

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
You have to convince the inspector that it is "as new". That's pretty much the definition.

Brake callipers are blasted and replated then built up with new seals. With something like an engine, I'd assume that the basic castings are reused but anything with any sign of wear, no matter how slight, is replaced. All shells and seals are new.

I'm guessing they expect to see an elderly Rover V8 rebored for oversized pistons with an unleaded head, all shiney and new looking. And a letter from the enineering company who built it.

coozer

posted on 23/6/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Technically an engine is new for the first owner, sell it second hand and its, well, second hand.

What you need for IVA is a receipt to show its been reconned

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mike S

posted on 23/6/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
It's not so much the IVA that is the issue, it's the DVLA if you want a new (Current) reg number.

Maidstone DVLA accepted my engine (and gearbox as its one unit) as being new.

I had a statement on the receipt for the engine that the mileage was correct at something like 1382 if I remember correctly.

The DVLA seemed happy that with this low milage it was effectively new, and was not required to be reconditioned.

Would have thought if you can show that 500 miles is genuine, and it looks like it is new you should be ok.

Guess if you get a jobs worth then you will need to prove it has been fully refurbed. In my case common sense prevailed. (don't hear that often about the dvla)

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

bj928

posted on 23/6/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S
It's not so much the IVA that is the issue, it's the DVLA if you want a new (Current) reg number.

Maidstone DVLA accepted my engine (and gearbox as its one unit) as being new.

I had a statement on the receipt for the engine that the mileage was correct at something like 1382 if I remember correctly.

The DVLA seemed happy that with this low milage it was effectively new, and was not required to be reconditioned.

Would have thought if you can show that 500 miles is genuine, and it looks like it is new you should be ok.

Guess if you get a jobs worth then you will need to prove it has been fully refurbed. In my case common sense prevailed. (don't hear that often about the dvla)

Cheers

Mike

thats ok then, its maidstone i would be going to, lets hope the same person still works there

loggyboy

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well of the items I need, I (will) have:

Chassis/shell - new
Engine - New
Suspension - New
Axles and steering - All coming in the 'new kit' which will be receipted as such.

This just leaves Transmission - I will get a Recon gearbox (with receipt) and then the question is does the diff fall under that section (or axles?)?
Will reconing the diff myself with new seals/fresh paint to look 'new' do?
do i need to pay for someone to recon this also?
I dont want to spend out all this money only to have the DVLA say no and try to 'Q' it.
I'd rather have an age related if i cant have new.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.