Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost dry sump?
StrikerChris

posted on 23/6/10 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
locost dry sump?

Has anyone on here managed to come up with any cheap dry sump ideas?thinking of pulling the engine out to change the timing chain,and although i've had no issues with my shortened sump its always on the back of my head this is an expensive motor to wreck when I get it to a track.be an ideal time to drysump it but i don't think the bankmanager would be too pleased if I go down the road to demongeeks!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/6/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
expensive motor to wreck...locost dry sump...

does not compute!

Craig

Jon Ison

posted on 23/6/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Many moons ago I had a GB engineering (Geoff Berrisford of grass track fame) dry sump, it was pinto pump gears in a machined alloy block, this acted as the scavenge pump clearing the sump to tank, the oil pick up was from the tank through a hole in the side of the sump to the original pick up, this was sealed either side with what I call bonded seals probably known by some other name.

Pump was belt driven via a extra pulley on the crank pulley, worked well.

StrikerChris

posted on 23/6/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Lol I guess! I just can't help thinking that us car people get ripped off for what's essentially a couple of pumps and a abit of a tank!there's hundreds of similar systems where I work which are far more substantial and half the cost,unfortunately my strikers not 3 phase!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 23/6/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
It was along those lines I was thinking,very easy to get to the pickup on my engine,and i'm pretty fortunate between work,friends works and workshops can get pretty much anything made for pennies too.just sourcing the right pumps etc ideas
MikeRJ

posted on 23/6/10 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've wondered in the past if a power steering pump could be used for a Locost scavenge pump.
BenB

posted on 23/6/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Dry sump pumps are ridiculously expensive! I've been trying to persuade myself I need one but I really don't
Trev Borg

posted on 23/6/10 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
accusump

here

or here

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

mcerd1

posted on 23/6/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
you will get ripped off at demongeeks - they do keep the stuff in stock etc...
but they do know how to charge! they even sell caterham bits for more than caterham do

I just got a couple of odds and ends from Quaife direct (at there normal rrp) and saved myself 20% on demon thieves price

I say always go direct to the manufacturer whenever you can...

[Edited on 23/6/2010 by mcerd1]

-

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/6/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I machined some new pump housings from ali and used 3 sets of MI16 oil pump gears for twin scavenge and a pressure stage. This was all submersible in an external oil tank. Its not installed in anything yet (or finished for that matter) its an experiment really

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/6/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Accusump is poor-mans dry-sump. I just got one delivered from TRE (same as link) with EPC valve and brackets. Total cost (including shipping and VAT was £280.

Top tip, if you buy from him on e-bay he has an "make an offer" which appears to have an automatic accept of $5 below the buy-it-now.

Matt

phelpsa

posted on 23/6/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Were you having oil surge issues then Matt?

rick q

posted on 23/6/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some good information here :- http://www.oz-clubbies.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4975&hl=dry+sump

Apparently some of the lads in New Zealand use the power steering pump from a V6 Camry for a scavenge pump. It's a two stage pump - one for the power steering and the other for a hydraulic powered cooling fan. Pulley sizes are apparently critical to ensure the thing isn't run too fast.

With this arrangement, the existing engine oil pump is retained as the pressure stage - the power steering pump provides two stage scavenge.

No other details unfortunately ...

StrikerChris

posted on 24/6/10 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies fellas.I feel afew experiments coming on.as for weeks i'm fully aware the place is a rip off,having said that tho at mates rates occasionally things are cheaper than paying postage etc off the web.not often tho!
Jenko

posted on 25/6/10 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Second the accusump comments - I never had any issues with oil surge since installing one.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Rod Ends

posted on 25/6/10 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Use an electric scavenge pump
Trev Borg

posted on 25/6/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £45 for my accusump from the good old US of A. delivered.

In fact I ended up buying three.

the first was a gravity one, very simple indeed, the second was a bloody big one, and the £45 one was a brand new one in the box

They seem to use them a lot more over the pond.

A very basic gravity fed one with no bladder, could be made from an old co2 fire extinguisher cylinder.

real locost

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.