Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: blackbird clutch, please help
alexcraiggtv

posted on 29/6/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
blackbird clutch, please help

Just wondered if anyone can help me on this one. I have a blackbird powered Indy with a super sharp clutch. I got about an inch movement from disengaged to fully engaged. Its like a bloody switch! Someone said about a master cylinder with a smaller piston. Is there any blackbird powered peeps on here that can tell me what they are using to get more feel in my pedal? Cheers

Not yet KATO!

Hellfire

posted on 29/6/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I would do a few runs; 10 or more, to get used to the feel before you assume something is awry.

Most clutches on BECs are sharp, they require more revs and more careful "feathering on"... if it really is sharp after you have really tried. you could try to move the fulcrum of the pivot nearer to the fulcrum of the pedal. this will increase movement of the pedal in relation to movement of the piston. Or by reducing piston size you will reduce fluid flow thereby reducing clutch sharpness.
The trouble with reducing piston movement it becomes more critical from clutch fully OFF to clutch fully depressed.
My advice is to keep trying with the current setup... hydraulic clutches are not so easy to alter.
Steve

JF

posted on 29/6/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why not change your pedal ratio? In other words, get the MC closer to the rotating point of the pedal.

If it's to extreme a smaller bore MC would prob be better. Possibly still with a different ratio.

probablyleon

posted on 30/6/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I was in exactly the same position. I also did the 'trying to live with it' thing, it took so much concentration to just pull away it completely ruined the whole car. I'm very pleased to say I now have what I'd describe as a fairly civilised clutch (haven't stalled it for ages). I use an R1 rear brake master cylinder (Brembo unit). I attached the push rod almost on top of the rotating point of the pedal. I needed to modify the pedal to do this (brazed a disc of steel into the 'add lightness' hole and re-drilled). I needed to use a longer clevis to accept, what is now a fairly extreme angle. I also sprung loaded the pedal to add some resistance. It now feels like a car (albeit a fairly mental one )
alexcraiggtv

posted on 1/7/10 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help everyone. Nice one!

Not yet KATO!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.