Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Billet alloy upright
rpmagazine

posted on 3/7/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Billet alloy upright

I noted the other thread on uprights and just thought I'd add this link:
http://www.racemagazine.com.au/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=12&func=view&id=178&catid=23
We have gone through the process of designing and FEA testing an 6061 alloy billet upright and the whole process is in this thread.
For those interested in such things, KPI/SAI = camber, castor is 0-5deg and scrub is 10mm+ depending on wheels.
The methodology would apply to many projects and the design allows the dedicated person to potentially replicate without a mill etc.

www.racemagazine.com.au

Ivan

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - interesting - a lot to wade through though so skipped some - is the design available for download?
v8kid

posted on 3/7/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Process is fascinating and an exemplar of collaborative design. Is there a precise of the design?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 4/7/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Wasn't there a thread on here about fabricating a Cortina upright equivalent?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rpmagazine

posted on 4/7/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Skip away, the thread is in effect our working document for the group. You will be able to track the false routes taken too.
We're concerned about the legal implications of allowing downloads of the design, so I doubt we'll do this, sorry about that. I would add that a precise design may not suit most other applications anyway, but the general layout could be adapted to many applications and nearly all the detail is in the thread anyway.
In this regard we're more than happy for people to use this as 'inspiration' for such an upright as long as it is not for a commercial purpose.
The alloy section of the upright weighs about 1kg (we could take more out of it, but remain cautious due to alloy fatigue issues), which is quite acceptable. The design is intended from the outset to be easy to manufacture in order to keep the costs down. 6061 alloy plate is approx $13 per kg. with around 1.7 kg required per upright.
The FEA work has also helped enormously and frankly I cannot imagine doing this any other way now.

[Edited on 4/7/10 by rpmagazine]

www.racemagazine.com.au

rpmagazine

posted on 22/7/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
We have finalised the design now and I'll update the thread in a few weeks.

www.racemagazine.com.au

rpmagazine

posted on 30/8/10 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
Prototype:

First production run, all FEA'd

www.racemagazine.com.au

v8kid

posted on 10/9/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Very professional looking.

I was a little confused by the thread on the website what loadings (g forces) did you end up using in your FEA?

Advice on the web varies greatly and I'd be interested to see your take on it.

Cheers

David

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

rpmagazine

posted on 11/9/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure we ran 4g bump, 3g lateral on single wheel loads (base 400kg), but I'll check for you. We were mostly concerned with kerb/offs etc with these levels, which are pretty high for a track car.

[Edited on 11/9/10 by rpmagazine]

www.racemagazine.com.au

v8kid

posted on 6/3/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps if you are interested I posted a destructive test of a mild steel upright today in the running gear forum.

Would appreciate input

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.