Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HD tv specs?
blakep82

posted on 5/7/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
HD tv specs?

thinking of getting a LCD telly upstairs, with a freeview HD box at some point.

want 37" LG telly really, i like LG. and want it to be cheap too

what i don't get, is unless any manufacturer says, Full HD, or 1080pHD, they just say HD ready, and thats all i can find.

been looking at this one
http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-37LH2000.jsp
about £300, but just says HD ready, but doesn't say if its 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or anything else. and thats the manufacturers site too...

don't suppose it makes a huge difference, but it'd be nice to know as i can compare to see if theres a better telly for the same price

why doesn't anyone make tellys with a matte black surround any more either? i don't like the glossy ones

[Edited on 5/7/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NigeEss

posted on 5/7/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK "HD ready" is generally 720, full HD is 1080.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

blakep82

posted on 5/7/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
thats kinda what i thought, but i don't get this bit out the spec

1080P Source Input - HDMI 60p/50p/30p/24p Component 60p/50p

or this bit

Just Scan - (HDMI/Component: 1080i / 1080p / 720p)

i know asking in a shop like comet or currys will be a waste of time

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

drhunter

posted on 5/7/10 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
nothing showed up on that page the first time it loaded so I hit refresh.
There is a specification page (navigation bar at the top) which states that the resolution is 1366 x 768.
So that one is 720p

blakep82

posted on 5/7/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
ah silly me i get it now lol.
why didn't i think of that, of course its part of the resolution!
thank you
that'll make it easier to check lol

daniel mason

posted on 6/7/10 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
1080i and 720p are more or less identical, 1080p is full hd. if your not using a full hd source eg ps3 or blu ray you dont even need full hd. all broadcast hd signals are 1080i/720p and not the full hd 1080p

johnemms

posted on 6/7/10 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a 50" LG - had to send it back 3 times - the picture was absolutly dire - eventualy gave up and bought a Panasonic - It was £100 cheaper and worked straight out of the box and the picture knocked the LG into fits..

LG - made in china stands for 'Lucky Gold' .. lucky if you get a decent one ..:p

Peteff

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
LG was Lucky Goldstar but changed to Life's Good as the Goldstar name was not well thought of. They are not Chinese they are Korean/Malaysian and in a joint venture with Phillips they make a lot of the LCD screens used in other manufacturer's products.
franky

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
the hd ready might refer to whether it does 1080I or 1080P.

why not get a better quality smaller screen?

flak monkey

posted on 6/7/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
The LG tvs are pretty good for what you pay. I have one and its fine, no dead pixels or anything either. I also have a 22" monitor on my PC, which is also very good.

HD ready is 720p, 1080p is full HD, always buy full HD if you can, there is a big noticeable difference in picture quality.

LG's quality is pretty good, and they own Phillips and make a big majority of the panels on the market, the other 3 big players being Samsung, Sony and Panasonic.

For all out quality I would buy a Panasonic Viera THX certified one. They arent cheap but they are absolutely stunning quality and put everything else to shame IMO.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

hobbsy

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Often a 720p TV will take a 1080p signal and sometimes (misleadingly) tell you 1080p on the on screen display. However when you check the specs and find out it only has 1366 x 768 pixels there is no way its actually displaying the picture in 1080p.

As others have said get a 1080p TV in that size certainly. Smaller (and cheaper) TV's you can probably get away with 720p if you want to save some cash.

Liam

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Got one of these for the bedroom...

LG 37lh3010

Full HD 1080p and pretty decent for the price.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Most tv/projectors will only tell you the input format on the screen not the output.
blakep82

posted on 6/7/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone, i think an HD ready would do me. i'm not looking for super full detail on everything. i probably won't even get a blu ray player, just a freeview HD box i think.
as for LG i've always been more impressed by the picture on them than with most others (especially for the price), but maybe their display in shops is just better (better signal) and i'd heard they make most of the screens too

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.