Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
rant ! wooden facia boards

this is the story so far, M I L wants plastic windows and facias on her garage, easy you'd think,
they're coming today to start the job, yesterday the boss rings to tell her that due to the pitch of the roof they'll be putting wooden facias on !!

now the whole point of the work being done is to have maintainence free facias NOT replace rotten ones with wood which will need regular upkeep, so i rang to say that we wanted, and were quoted for, plastic facias, reply went something like this " timber lasts for hundreds of years, some countries are banning PVC and insisting on timber, look at st pauls cathedral it's hundreds of years old and thats still standing " ???????? I replied that we wont be getting the same quality timber though will we ?
offered to knock some cash off, but not enough to paint it !!

I've got to ask, is it me??? am i missing something ??

flak monkey

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ring him back and tell him that you expect them to be oak if he says they will last 100+ years.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jabbahutt

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Tell them to stick the wooden ones where the sun doesn't shine

Liam

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
What has the pitch of the roof got to do with whether or not you can have plastic fascias??
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
Tell them to stick the wooden ones where the sun doesn't shine

Norwich?

I would ring them back and say the job is on hold until the PVC is ready on site to go on. If you want PVC, get PVC

Chances are the timber will be the cheapest, lowest quality quick grown timber you can get. Will probably last 3 or 4 years

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

r1_pete

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Get someone else in, its not worth arguing when there is so much competition.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 9/7/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I assume they came to look at the garage before giving the quote? If so, tell them you want what was quoted, else the deal's off.
Mal

posted on 9/7/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I,m with R1-Pete, get rid of them.

If they are trying to push something onto you that you do not want, with stupid reasons it is likely that you will get problems further down the line if the work has not been done to your satisfaction.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 9/7/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
As all of the above, you want what you have been quoted for, have you paid anything yet?

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

Toniq-r

posted on 9/7/10 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Listen take it from me as Im in the window trade he is just trying to scam you. Wood is much cheaper then pvc cladding and less hastle to fit a few nails and job is done.
Ninehigh

posted on 9/7/10 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
If St Pauls Cathedral is still standing, and that's his argument for wood you want a 900 year guarantee.. and you want to see him sign it in his house in case he decides to change his number

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's more,

She agreed to have the windows fitted but not the facias ( i'd gone to work by this time ) so sis in law came over.

when the fitters came they'd brought windows with openers on, now that might not seem such a big deal but they wont open because of the facia !! which is quite deep
the windows that were being replaced didn't have openers for that reason, it's a concrete prefab garage FFS, it's used for storage, the windows are just for a bit of light, and we stated quite firmly at the time that we don't want any openers.
am i dealing with the thickest tw*t in bolton.

and you wonder why DIY took off ?
anyway been to B & Q to price some facia and i'll have a go myself, f**k me if i can screw a car together i'm sure i can knock nails in

40inches

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Get a pack of stainless nails while you are there(same department), nailed them on my garage 9 years ago, still there
Ninehigh

posted on 9/7/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, then again you could get the rusting version and hammer them in in a haphazard way so they're all sticking out. It's an anti burglary device you see anyone who tries is gonna cut themself on the nail and die of tetanus

woodster

posted on 10/7/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Don't go to B&Q go to windowplas on Lever street much cheaper ....... open saturday mornings till 12 ... open to trade and public.
HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 10/7/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
update
i went to the offices this morning, closed, there were sounds coming from the workshop so i called in there and spoke to the works foreman, he was as bewildered as me when i told him about the st pauls thing, anyway upshot is that he has more common sense in his little finger than the salesman and it looks as if things will be sorted properly.
I'll let you know.

I've actually calmed down now after speaking to him

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.