Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: weird day! job loss...errr...maybe.
Dangle_kt

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
weird day! job loss...errr...maybe.

Since loosing my job a year ago I decided to get a bit of job security and join the public sector - the NHS to be exact.

I work as a manager (I know I am the spawn of satan and the reason for the collapse of all good things, I am liable to rape and pillage, you have been warned!) in a PCT... (double gasp)

My wife is also a manager at a different PCT.

We both work hard, neither of us take sick days like they are an extra 50 days of holiday a year, and both us genuinly try to make things better.

Well today was like going on death row.

Two years and we will both be out of a job if not before.

I will be the first to admit that the NHS is a top heavy lumbering beast, riddled with crap people taking home a huge wage - BUT there will be thousands of genuine people, who will loose out because of knee jerk politics.

Thought I'd share with you guys, along with one fact.

NHS has to make £20 billion in savings over 4 years, £1bn will come from this move - the other £19bn will come from managing the system better....with less managers...

That said I heard Ben is trading in his locost for a hustla Hummer, to match his new outfit:

ONLY KIDDING!

Steve Hignett

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote

snapper

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

TextSince loosing my job a year ago I decided to get a bit of job security and join the public sector - the NHS to be exact.

You went for a bit of job security, there has been no job security in the Public sector for years

I am in the Public sector and I would not take a job initial at this time I can't tell you all I am privvy to but the coalition say they will preserve health the military schools and the police with the cuts they propose they can't. Rant stops hear but there is so much to be cut including all the outsourced and privatised services such as cleaners, cooks, groundworkers, electricians, guards, ship builders and so on honestly people you don't know the half of it

[Edited on 12/7/10 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Wheels244

posted on 12/7/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Andy

I'm in the public sector too as you know.

So we have to pay for the fat cat bankers getting it wrong.
What's worse is they're getting fat again with all their nice bonuses.
What a fantastically fair country we live in

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:

TextSince loosing my job a year ago I decided to get a bit of job security and join the public sector - the NHS to be exact.

You went for a bit of job security, there has been no job security in the Public sector for years

I am in the Public sector and I would not take a job initial at this time I can't tell you all I am privvy to but the coalition say they will preserve health the military schools and the police with the cuts they propose they can't. Rant stops hear but there is so much to be cut including all the outsourced and privatised services such as cleaners, cooks, groundworkers, electricians, guards, ship builders and so on honestly people you don't know the half of it

I am sure you are right, I am sure we have some very hard times ahead.

I'm not particularly fussed about my job, I can turn my hand to lots of things, its my wife I'm worried about she is NHS through and through.

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Sorry to hear that Andy

Surely the fire service is safe is it not?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote

even the fire service has taken knocks up our way

Wheels244

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Sorry to hear that Andy

Locally we're looking at 10% cuts as 'best case scenario' reality will probably prove to be a lot more.
The 'modernisation' agenda of the previous government has already seen a big reduction in front line staff and closure of fire stations - this government is going to make things a whole lot worse.
Net result - we will pay more for a worse service.

Check your smoke alarms people please !!

ditchlewis

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think any one is safe.

My wife works for the NHS she has a degree in midwifery and also a degree in health visiting. She is working as a health visitor at present and it looks like they are all being transfered to the local council..

Some practices have to lose 3 or 4 health visitors while others have to gain 2 or 3.

she is well placed to weather the comming storm thank god.

I work for a house builder/ property developer and many of our schemes have returned to the back burner. no for sale properties = no affordable housing either.

moral = no one is safe and the storm clouds are gathering again..

god i have depressed my self , better go to bed and see if things look brighter there

ditch

chrsgrain

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I expect that the majority of PCT employees (at least the good ones, not the sluggish cash guzzling lazy toerag ones that just get in the way of people trying to do a good clinical job ) will be reemployed by consortia of GP's - after all someone has to do the contracting for health services.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

nick205

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking from the private sector I've already taken a serious wedge of recession induced pain. Yes, I still have my job, but it's not the job it was 2 years ago.

1. 2 years and counting of a short working week = £3.5k/yr pay cut

2. 2 years and counting of next to no sales commission = (a further) £10k/year pay cut

3. 2 years and counting of not being able to pay into my pension fund, which also means no matched contribution from my employer (final salary...what a malarky that is!)

4. 15/50 work colleagues made redundant with more to go shortly

5. MK Indy that I sweated on for 3 years = gone

6. Not recession related, but we also had twins (children 2&3) 2 years ago so costs have gone up dramatically over the same period. Like £1k a month on nursery when SWMBO takes home around £1,000.01 a month.

Whilst I sympathise and empathise with all MOST* of those in the public sector whose jobs and live are set to change forever the changes are and always were inevitable and dare I say it blindingly obvious.

What concerns me far far more is this ridiculous notion that the private sector will pick up the slack from the shrinking pblic sector.....?

HELLO....we're already on our knees, how do you expect us to employ a load more people...?

* Having speant the last few years selling equipment into the NHS I am ceaselessly amazed by the number on non-jobsI come across. Layers and layers of people pushing paper, delaying decisions, misinformed, ill-judged and well paid. On top of that the previous government spent god knows what on setting up huge lumbering sourcing organisations supposed to "streamline" procurement and increase supplier value to the NHS. All that's been achieved is to make the big companys bigger and wealthier and wholly stifle smaller more innovative and forward thinking companies at every turn.

[Edited on 12/7/10 by nick205]

[Edited on 14/7/10 by nick205]

[Edited on 14/7/10 by nick205]

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/7/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Speaking from the private sector I've already taken a serious wedge of recession induced pain. Yes, I still have my job, but it's not the job it was 2 years ago.

2. 2 years and counting of next to no sales commission = (a further) £10k/year pay cut

3. 2 years and counting of not being able to pay into my pension fund, which also means no matched contribution from my employer (final salary...what a malarky that is!)

4. 15/50 work colleagues made redundant with more to go shortly

5. MK Indy that I sweated on for 3 years = gone

Whilst I sympathise and empathise with all MOST* of those in the public sector whose jobs and live are set to change forever the changes are and always were inevitable and dare I say it blindingly obvious.

What concerns me far far more is this ridiculous notion that the private sector will pick up the slack from the shrinking pblic sector.....?

HELLO....we're already on our knees, how do you expect us to employ a load more people...?

* Having speant the last few years selling equipment into the NHS I am ceaselessly amazed by the number on non-jobsI come across. Layers and layers of people pushing paper, delaying decisions, misinformed, ill-judged and well paid. On top of that the previous government spent god knows what on setting up huge lumbering sourcing organisations supposed to "streamline" procurement and increase supplier value to the NHS. All that's been achieved is to make the big companys bigger and wealthier and wholly stifle smaller more innovative and forward thinking companies at every turn.

[Edited on 12/7/10 by nick205]

I hear what your saying, the system is a joke - and compared to the private sector their is TONS of non-jobs, but...the jobs are created by the system and the echelons of power - the people actually doing the none jobs are not at fault, and took the jobs in good faith - but they will be the victims, not the people at the top suggesting a "cheerleading co-ordinator" is actually a plausable business need....

luke_stephenson

posted on 12/7/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Vote conservative = get 80's politics back.

how can it be better to pay dole money to millions of unemployed rather than recoup some of there wage in taxes by employing them, they then spend their money e.t.c e.t.c and it all goes back to the government anyway. (i can argue this point a lot more factuially when req'd)

after the second world war britain was virtually bankrupt = tories would have cut, cut cut and saved. great.

labour instead founded the NHS and invested in a massive road, rail and housing expansion, created many public industries. what happened??? the econmomy was stimulated and we came out of a mega recession.

jimmyjoebob

posted on 12/7/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Employing people to do pointless non jobs doesn't generate the country money. They have to justify their jobs which means more fines, stealth taxes and spying on the population.

Labour have never made the country any money - they have always spent unjustifiable amounts and been forced from power when the country is bankrupt.

Before the 80s is dragged up again as anti Tory propaganda just remember the winter of discontent. Three day working weeks, massive power shortages, the dead unable to be buried as gravediggers went on strike, the litter overflowing on the streets of London and other cities as the country ground to a halt. Labour has much to answer for as do the union leaders that encouraged their members to commit company suicide (whilst never risking their own paychecks).

Sorry, rant over!

[Edited on 12/7/10 by jimmyjoebob]

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Ivan

posted on 13/7/10 at 05:16 AM Reply With Quote
Something like 12 years ago political changes turned my and many other highly qualified and experienced South Africans working lives upside down. I put up with it for a few years then took an early retirement at 52.

After a couple of years the realisation hit that the organisations really couldn't manage without our skills and experience so now for the past 8 years have been so busy with Consulting work that I can't keep up and have to turn down work.

The negatives are:

1/ that at 60 I now work harder than ever.
2/ My locost build is lying unattended.
3/ Sometimes work up to 12 hours per day 7 days a week - other times 3 or 4 days a week.

The positives are:
1/ Make more money than ever before.
2/ No commuting - mostly work from home.
3/ No staff to bother with - previously controlled 200 staff - a real pain.
4/ No politicians to bother with.
5/ No Ratepayers to bother with.
6/ Can hug the wife and pat the dog whenever I feel like it.
7/ I am my own boss and set my own work schedules.
8/ Lots of travel to various clients throughout the country - wife travels with me and helps on site so every job is a mini holiday and get to se parts of the country never seen before at others expense.

I guess what I'm saying is that every cloud has a silver lining and if your reputation is good work will find you.

whitestu

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Loads of our contracts have been cut [supplying education sector]. Will be interesting to see what happens to jobs. Ni doubt there will be some pain to come!
Ninehigh

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not having a go but if I took that kind of pay cut I would literally be paying boss to let me work!

speed8

posted on 13/7/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
So... You don't want cuts, you don't want the inevitable job losses, etc.....

Can somebody explain then how we expect to pay off the £900billion debt we have, not to mention public sector pensions of which many are no doubt quite generous final salary schemes.

I'm in the private sector and I've just received my first pay raise since 2 1/2 years ago. My final salary pension has been changed to defined contributions. This is despite the fact that our department has been making profit all the way through the recession.

If you have a better idea to tackle the last Govt's mismanagement of the country then I'd like to hear it but I don't think employing unemployed people in non-jobs is the solution to our problems. And spending more money that we obviously don't have is what got us into this mess in the first place (not just the govt but the general public also).

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/7/10 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm unemployable? Is my job a non job? You don't know anything about memor the value of the work i do. You are quoting things you read in the daily mail.

Whilst I am acutely aware of the countries finances don't expect me to applaud whilst I loose my job.

Wheels244

posted on 13/7/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Once again - the public sector should not have to pay for the bankers mis-management.

I wondered when public sector pensions would get a mention - the funny thing is people only moan about them in times of strife - they don't get a mention in boom times
when private pensions are making money hand over fist and yet ours remains constant. And what about the artificially low wages the vast majority of the public sector are kept on - I took a massive pay drop to do my job that I left from private engineering - my choice, my vocation - I don't do it for the money or pension believe it or not - I could get much more in the private sector. Also I pay 11% of my gross wage into my pension - do I want a reasonable return for that significant investment - well actually yes I do, I don't think that is unreasonable.

MikeR

posted on 13/7/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
(bear in mind i'm writing this and unemployed).

If people in the public sector want a pay rise, get a job in the private sector! Stop moaning you're poorly paid - take your skills where you'll get a decent pay and discover how hard the private sector can be.

(nb that isn't saying some public sector employees don't have a hard time, but i was laughing today when some union bloke said that he asked his public sector employees and nearly all of them had done unpaid hours so they deserved a pay rise. Well done - i've done unpaid hours most weeks of my private sector working life and never thought that meant i deserved a pay rise!)

[Edited on 13/7/10 by MikeR]

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:

Not having a go but if I took that kind of pay cut I would literally be paying boss to let me work!

Trust me it feels like that at the moment

Ninehigh

posted on 15/7/10 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
union bloke said that he asked his public sector employees and nearly all of them had done unpaid hours so they deserved a pay rise. Well done - i've done unpaid hours most weeks of my private sector working life and never thought that meant i deserved a pay rise!)

Unpaid hours? No chance, unless I own the company the least my employer can do is pay me for what I do, mainly because in every case I'd rather be at home especially if I'm not getting money anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.