Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No wonder you dont see Poor Architects :(
Antnicuk

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
No wonder you dont see Poor Architects :(

My local architect came to visit me yesterday to discuss my workshop build at the bottom of my garden, today he emailed me his prices which he agreed to do on a fixed price.

I was a little shocked to say the least as a i only want a square block workshop about 7m x 8m. with a shallow pith roof! Anyone got any ideas?

Work Stages

Initial payment £300.00+ VAT

Planning Application
A - Appraisal
B - Briefing
C - OutlineP roposals
D - Detailed Proposals
£975.00+ VAT
Payable on submission of Application

BuildingR egulationA pplication
E - Final Proposals
F- Productionln formation

£1.145.0+0 V AT
Payable on submission of Application

JoelP

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
think he's priced to build it too

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
My only dealings with architects involved an initial investigation for a big kitchen extension.

He offered a firm quote based on him asking me what I was planning to spend on the project, and multiplying by 15%. Interesting given that I know nothing about building.

Not the sort of thing I am used to.

Antnicuk

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
thats half my build cost !!!

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

loggyboy

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hes probly pricing high beacuse i dosent really want the work.
Small builds are hardly worth the effort.
If he is a qualified architect he wants to build houses not workshops.

Better of speaking to a 'unqualified' architect (ie a architeural technician or anyone offering architectural services)

I would expect £400 for planning and £600 for building regs for a single storey workshop/outhouse/extension.
(Thats what id charge)

Antnicuk

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
are you interested in doing it?

Howlor

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Linky
andrew

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
you dont need them do it yourself , im sure you will get all the info on here if you ask ,
Antnicuk

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that, i guess i better learn how to do a building application!

Fatgadget

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is it compulsory to involve an architect in the build of an outhouse in your back yard? An acquaintance built a mahoosive snooker room in his back yard out of wait for it..wooden pallets! .He just told the local busy bodies that it was a shed!
loggyboy

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you based?
loggyboy

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
Is it compulsory to involve an architect in the build of an outhouse in your back yard? An acquaintance built a mahoosive snooker room in his back yard out of wait for it..wooden pallets! .He just told the local busy bodies that it was a shed!

No you dont, you need to get planning permission (in most cases, not all) which as long as the plans give an accurate representation of the proposal, anyone can draw up.
Then you need building regulations approval, which does need to be done by someone with good knowlege of the approved documents and what is required.

perksy

posted on 15/7/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
One of the WSCC Lads built a very nice workshop
This might be of some use

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=64414;hl=sam+cooke

ChrisW

posted on 15/7/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good mate of mine is a final year architecture student and regularly takes on cash work. I'm sure it'll be cheaper than your other quote!

Drop me a u2u if you want some contact details.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stott

posted on 15/7/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
There are lots of people who just do the drawings for builders and don't call them selves architects as such. They are much much cheaper.

My 2 storey 3.5x8m extension is in for approval now.

£450 to do drawings
£166 Planning App
£387.75 Inspection Fee (only payable when work commences)
£129.25 Building Regs Plan Vetting

As you can see his fee was £450 of all of that, this seems to be the going rate around here for "people who do the drawings"

That's all submitted and all the lark too, I'm not lifting a finger.

HTH
Stott

loggyboy

posted on 15/7/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
There are lots of people who just do the drawings for builders and don't call them selves architects as such. They are much much cheaper.

Unless your a qualified architect you cant legally call yourself one, its a protected title. You have to register (and pay) the Archiects Registration Board to call yourself one. So you can check on the ARB to see if the person calling themselves an architect really is one.

[Edited on 15/7/10 by loggyboy]

Stott

posted on 15/7/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
that's my point they aren't architects they just do the drawings and submit them etc, they are much cheaper
Peteff

posted on 15/7/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Check your local regulations. If it doesn't occupy more than a certain percentage of your garden and is not attached to your house you may not need planning. The height also comes into consideration and you can submit your own drawings so you may only need to comply with building regulations so if you can draw the shape you want and know what you want to build it from you are already nearly done.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stott

posted on 15/7/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice^

In wales it's something like 5 metres away from a mighwy (incl pavement) under 4m high and not more square meterage than half of the ground around the house and you don't need planning.

fatfranky

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently submitted the application for my garage, which is about 8.5M square with a pitched roof,

Costs were as follows

£250 cash to have plans drawn up
£120 cash for structural calcs for raft foundation
£150 for planning application fee
£150 for building regs application fee with a further £150 payable on commencement

Hope this helps

Frank

smart51

posted on 16/7/10 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
The time spent preparing a planning application and dealing with the client doesn't vary much with the size of the building being designed. His fee seem high in comparison only because your build is small. He might only charge twice as much for a building costing 10 times as much.

Neville Jones

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
The guys who 'just do the drawings' usually call themselves 'architectural Services', or at least that's what they do around here where i live.

When I did a big extension, I went to the local planning office with a sketch, and the guy I spoke to told me all the needed footing sizes and timber sizes to meet Building Regs. Also had to be insulated to meet regs. Then I redrew the thing properly, and they were happy to take my application fee and approve the plans.

[Edited on 16/7/10 by Neville Jones]

Antnicuk

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky
I've recently submitted the application for my garage, which is about 8.5M square with a pitched roof,

Costs were as follows

Now thats more like it.

I'm based in Epping. From reading the planning website, I can make it up to 50% of the garden but only 2.5 metres tall if I'm within 2 metres of a boundary which I will be. I would like it a bit taller that if they will let me but I then need the planning. I will struggle to get a ramp in there if it's only 2.5 metres high.

Frank

[Edited on 16-7-10 by Antnicuk]

Stott

posted on 16/7/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky

Costs were as follows

£150 for building regs application fee with a further £150 payable on commencement

Hope this helps

Frank

That's what to aim for. Mine were dearer because the building regs/inspection and planning fees are on a sliding scale according to square meterage and purpose of the structure, I was on about a 2 storey extension so obviously a dwelling.

richwill

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine all myself.First off make an appointment with the planning office of your local council and take some sketches and details of what you want to do.
Take along a plan of your boundaries. A photo from Google earth showing your house would also help.
The planning dept will be able to tell you all you need to know and do and they can also tell you what building regulations you will need to satisfy.
You could probably do most of the plan drawing yourself as you already know what you want to do.
Do you intend to build it yourself or use a contractor. If you use a contractor they will also be able to advise you when they quote for the work.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.