Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres
matty h

posted on 17/7/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres

Anyone recommend me what tyres to fit to the back of my GTM Libra used all year round so want something to last and not find the nearest ditch at the first sign of water.
A1

posted on 17/7/10 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
r888s? everyone says theyre crap in the wet, but theyre actually fine as long as youre a bit more careful.
j3w3ll3r

posted on 17/7/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmm, I have 888s on my Westfield,and you have to exercise caution in the wet to say the least

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

jack_t

posted on 17/7/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
t1rs best allround tyre availible

norfolkluego

posted on 17/7/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t

We used T1Rs before we switched to R888s. We sprinted on them down at Hethel in May, awful weather in the morning wet and cold, I mean really cold for May. The grip from the tyres was terrible, when it warmed up a bit they were fine even though the track was still wet but when it was cold they were useless. OK you wouldn't drive on a road like that but even so they were not good.

RazMan

posted on 17/7/10 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Falken 452s on all my cars. They are pretty good for general road use and wear quite well - and they don't cost a fortune either.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 17/7/10 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
888's wet or dry...

MikeFellows

posted on 18/7/10 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree on 888's wet or dry

T1R's overheat terrribly and go off instantly as soon as they do overheat.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/7/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jack_t

I beg to differ too - I've got them on my MR2. The side walls are too soft for me. I'll be trying Marangoni Zeta Linea's when i wear these ones out.

gingerprince

posted on 18/7/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
I'll be trying Marangoni Zeta Linea's when i wear these ones out.

I just got rid of those from my Indy. The R888's are waaaaaay out in front in terms of dry grip. The marangoni's are reasonable for road use and okay in the wet, but the main problem is the shape of them. Instead of being |__| they're \__/ if you see what I mean - so a 195 marangoni has a narrower contact patch than a 195 other tyre.

If I were buying a tyre for very good road grip but no track day's I'd probably look at the new toyo R1-R. They're a bit cheaper than R888, similar grippy compound but more tread. They get too hot on track by all accounts but should in theory be a very good road tyre.

matty h

posted on 18/7/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at tyre reviews and looking at giving Falken 452s a go.Use the car all year around including snow and ice so thinking 888,s will be unsuitable it was running toyo t1r's but was not impressed with there amount of wear or winter grip.
nz_climber

posted on 19/7/10 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
Also other options between a full semi slick (R888 etc) and Normal Road tyre (t1r)

There are lots all being designed for the american auto cross market, so have quick warm up time and great dry grip, also good wet weather grip and don't wear out as quick

Bridgeston RE11
Kumho KU36
Dunlop Z1 Star Spec
Yoko AD08
Toyo R1R

I think any of these would give a great tyre for those wanting all year road use and the odd track day with out going to a R888

I will be putting the Bridgestone RE11 on my 7 when its on the road.

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

RazMan

posted on 19/7/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty h
Been looking at tyre reviews and looking at giving Falken 452s a go.Use the car all year around including snow and ice so thinking 888,s will be unsuitable it was running toyo t1r's but was not impressed with there amount of wear or winter grip.

Exactly why I went for the Falkens. I use them on my 230bhp middy and a 380bhp Soarer and they perform really well wet or dry with good wear. SWMBOs Hyundai is getting them fitted when the time comes too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.