Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer Ramps ( how long are yours)
rallyingden

posted on 26/7/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer Ramps ( how long are yours)

Just trying to work out what length ramps I will need to get my kit up to a 480mm (19" high trailer. The ones I have are way short. I only have 100mm clearance.

You guys ( & gals ) got any pictures of yours?

Up to now I remove back set of wheels, jack front up till bed is touching the floor. Two axle stands under front and drive up ....... but then you have to jack the rear up with car on to get the rear set of wheels back on. Takes a while ! and it usually rains

My first calcs come up with 12 feet long !! thats as long as the trailer bed.

Cheers
RD

[Edited on 26/7/10 by rallyingden]

norfolkluego

posted on 26/7/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Do you take the jockey wheel up to it's max, that should help, it is a bit of a b*gger though with a low car. You won't need 12 feet, once the sump (I assume that's the lowest bit of your car) is past the back of the trailer you're OK
MakeEverything

posted on 26/7/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Why take the rear wheels off? Cant you tip it so that the front wheels lift and the trailer is held by a jack?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

rick q

posted on 26/7/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
A few of the people I go to the track with have resolved the problem by reversing their tow vehicle up onto ramps, raising the back of the car and dropping the rear of the trailer at the same time.

Looks a bit awkward when you first see it, but does the trick. Just means carrying some short ramps.

v8kid

posted on 27/7/10 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
Made mine out of 2.4m long ply with a sandwich construction. In conjunction with screwing the jockey up full that does the trick.
Also painted the ply with resin and sprinkled sand on it when wet to stop wheelspin when it's raining.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
My first thought is to lower the trailer, and the easiest way to do this is to use small wheels.

If clearing the sump is the issue then a short length of scaffold plank placed on the rear of the trailer can help
(where my front wheels are in the pic) and remove it before the rear wheels reach it.

Trailer Wheels
Trailer Wheels

Cheers
Paul G

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Or maybe beaver tail design ramps could help?

Cheers
Paul G

Image deleted by owner

ShaunB

posted on 27/7/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Raise the jockey wheel up to it's max to raise the front of the trailer. My trailer is single axle, with only an 11' bed so the effect is more pronounced but with my 6' ramps it ends up being a single straight line, i.e. there is no angle change from the ramps to the trailer.
rallyingden

posted on 27/7/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks people some good ideas there.

Paul G ... I'd thought of a beaver tail ramp in bed last night ( sad I know ). The trasition angle can be fairly steep as there will be no cross brace for the sump / bellhousing to catch.
Going to have a session with Autocad at work today

RD

posted on 27/7/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
Thanks people some good ideas there.

Paul G ... I'd thought of a beaver tail ramp in bed last night ( sad I know ). The trasition angle can be fairly steep as there will be no cross brace for the sump / bellhousing to catch.
Going to have a session with Autocad at work today

RD

I can't do Autocad.

It's cotton reels and lollipop sticks for me.

Cheers
Paul G

blueskate

posted on 27/7/10 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I just raise the bottom of my ramps up on two blocks of wood. This makes the angle of the ramp more shallow so my sump clears at the top of ramp.

It's not pretty but it's a quick and easy fix!

Semper Paratus!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.