Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MMA/TIG Inverter Welder - Draper - Advice!
greglogan

posted on 29/7/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
MMA/TIG Inverter Welder - Draper - Advice!

Description
Description

Any opinions on the quality of the above? It's a Draper 43954 Inverter Welder MMA/TIG details here. I can get one at seriously cheap money, but if it's rubbish, then theres no point.

As you guys are the fount of all knowledge ( and I know SFA about TIG welders) I figured I'd ask your advice before parting with any money.

Thanks

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

Davey D

posted on 29/7/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Spec-wise it looks just like any other basic inverter. It has scratch start which is ok, but HF start is much nicer, but will cost more. being 150A it should run ok off a domestic 13A plug. dont know about reliability on these, but if you can get one really cheap then it will do you good to learn with, and then upgrade at a later date. i see it comes supplied with a handheld welding screen... how are you meant to tig with that?.... Screen in one hand , filler wire in the other, Tig torch in the other... er hang on...!!!

It is DC only, so you cant weld Alu, only steel, and being a small unit i dont know how long you will be able to weld at high power until the thermal cutout kicks in, as there wont be very big fans in there

[Edited on 29/7/10 by Davey D]

[Edited on 29/7/10 by Davey D]

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/7/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
it'll stick weld quite nicely, better than a buzz box - not sure about TIGing quality.
greglogan

posted on 29/7/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hah! Saw the 3 handed thing being a problem, but thankfully I have an automatic mask for my MIG so should be ok! Also, the electrode holder reminds me of one from an old Arc welder, not what I thought the TIG ones looked like?

Can you advise me on what sort of rods I would need for welding steel and can someone explain to me what scratch start is versus HF?

Thanks again!

Greg.

[Edited on 29/7/10 by greglogan]

Davey D

posted on 29/7/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greglogan
Hah! Saw the 3 handed thing being a problem, but thankfully I have an automatic mask for my MIG so should be ok! Also, the electrode holder reminds me of one from an old Arc welder, not what I thought the TIG ones looked like?

Can you advise me on what sort of rods I would need for welding steel and can someone explain to me what scratch start is versus HF?

Thanks again!

Greg.

The electrode holder in the picture is for MMA (what people tend to call Arc, or Stick welding) i cant see a Tig torch anywhere on that picture (maybe in the case?) and i cant see anywhere to connect the gas to the torch unless it comes through the socket you attach your torch to.

for Tig welding mild steel you want PZ6500 filler rods. if your going to be doing light gauge plate like car bodywork then 1.6mm will do, but if you are going to do thicker stuff like 3mm upwards 2.4mm filler rods can be easier.

If you want to MMA weld with it, then you want to get some General Purpose 6103 electrodes, again depending on what gauge steel you are welding you might want different different size rods.

With scratch start you have to scratch the metal you are welding with the tungsten to initiate the arc for Tig welding then pull back slightly and continue with the weld.

With HF start you press a button on the torch with creates a High Frequency Arc from your torch to the metal you are welding

greglogan

posted on 29/7/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Davey

thanks for the info. I have contacted Draper Tech and they have told me that the machine is only TIG capable but you must buy a separate TIG torch kit which allows a gas connection etc... It explains a few things 'cause any TIG filler rods I'd seen were a few feet long and flexible which I didn't think would sit well in the holder. It all makes sense now, but seems a little like false advertising on the Draper website - it states that it is a TIG welder but doesn't state that you need to spend more money to make it a TIG welder.

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Thanks again

Greg.

PSpirine

posted on 29/7/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, most inverters are sold exactly the same - i.e. as compact arc welders with the possibility to Tig weld if you buy the torch/hose etc.

I was tempted by one of these purely as a very compact arc welder!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.