Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tattoo's
bigrich

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
tattoo's

how many of you guys and girls have them, Looking to get one myself in the very near future( half sleeve in a moari style) for no other reason than the style appeals.
anyone care to show me their tattoo's

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Danozeman

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Im interested in this too.. I want one but cant decide what to go for.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

madteg

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Take your time deciding what to have also check out tattooists work as you only get one chance to get it wright.
iank

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
This question comes up once in a while. Be prepared for both the positive and for some reason very negative comments.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

AndyW

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have 2, One on my right arm (a celtic band) and 1 across my sholders. Both are great and I wouldnt change them but do consider very carefully what you have and where. Mine are covered up even if I wear short sleeves, only just see one on arm, but bare in mind future jobs etc etc and what you get. Once its on its on.

I am just about to get 2 more but cant decide on where, so Ive been thinking for about 9 months and just about to decide. Good luck and remember, its your choice and there will always be people who dont like them and have strong opinions of them.

JoelP

posted on 1/8/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
This question comes up once in a while. Be prepared for both the positive and for some reason very negative comments.

such as 'show your uniqueness with a tattoo, just like everyone else'

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

snakebelly

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tatoos

Funilly enough i am currenly planning a half sleeve of my own, already have several tats, be prepared to spend a lot to get something good and unique, i am working with my tatooist to develope a totally custom half sleeve, featuring favourite album covers and some iconic images from my life so far, custom drawing costs lots, i cant draw for toffee so had no choice, if your artistically gifted you could draw your own but at least sit down with your tatooist first and talk about what does and doesnt work ie level of details, shading etc.
big-vee-twin

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I took three years to decide what and where for my first Tatoo, and then quite a while to pick who to do it a Argentinian Girl called Sol did it for me!

Like above be prepared to spend a lot of money and also expect to have a few sesions getting it done if its complicated.

Also dont select a tattoo artist on price select based on reputation and vist their premises too.

Then enjoy I took my time and have never regretted my descision as it is on my leg it gets covered when Im at work but comes out in the sunshine.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ask as many people's opinions of tattoists reputations as possible...

I would also love a half sleeve, but I would be going for my forearm, rather than upper arm.

I have 7 tattoos at the moment and am very lucky that one of the best tattoist in the country in the small town next to mine. The problem with being good - he's booked for over 12 months in advance

He recently took on a lad from sheffield way on a secondment, he really is brilliant too, but I sometimes think I'd rather wait.

If you fond someone as good as this in your area Rich, then go in and see if he has those sorts of lead times. If he has, stick a deposit down for a series of slots. It's not really a commitment to def get one (at Paul's) as if you decide against, so many people want your slot, so he's happy to refund your deposit!

I'm sure you know of the normal advice, make sure you def want what you want, where you want it etc - After you've had a few tattoo's you'll see this advice as a little pointless, as it doesn't really matter whether you absolutely love one or not, they all mean something to you...

Also, and this won't apply to you, if you want a tattoo, get the size you want straight away. I had my 1st when I was 16 and thought it hurt quite a bit, I hadn't realised that I have a medical condition that makes me faint if something passes through my skin (injections, tattoo's, piercings and occasionally a cut etc) so I always thought it was a bad pain, but it was actually my fighting the fainting feeling making it so bad - so my 2nd tattoo was years later and relatively small - the 3rd bigger again and then because my OCD is pretty severe, I had to have a tattoo round the one on my right upper arm to make it the size as the one on my left upper arm, for symmetry.

The same happened with the one's on my wrists...

I don't have good photo's of my tattoo's but here's one I had in my "worX's" folder from ages ago taken with an old phone . It is a copy of H.R. Giger's personal logo (he designed Aliens), I had a few of his Art Skateboards and his logo was on the back, so easy to copy!

ETA:- Design it yourself, or change something of the design you want, or the design the tattooist offers you, that way it's yours...

ETA2:- My tattooist is Paul Naylor of Indigo Tattoo http://www.indigotattoo.com/

my wrist tattoo from Paul Nayl
my wrist tattoo from Paul Nayl

[Edited on 1/8/10 by Steve Hignett]

couch22k

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had my 3rd sitting yesturday on my Jap half sleeve. 3 Guys in Belper Derbyshire, really good work. I was looking for a tattoist for about a year. If you can make it there's a tattoo convention at Doncaster racecoarse next week end. The lads who did mine Monki Do will be ther as well as alot more of the best tattoist in the country.

Hope this helps

Steve

Flamez

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it, so last year......

Spend the money on your car or bike

my build mac1motorsports

iceman26

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i have a mix i have lots of tribal and pin up girls i have 1 full arm and getting other 1 done in about 3 weeks
flak monkey

posted on 1/8/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Do reseach the meaning of tribal designs, they do have specific meanings in their relevant cultures and some may not have the right sort of impression! Personally I dont like the tribal type of tattoos as they are very fashionable at the moment.

Other than that I echo Steves comments. I am very lucky too in that I have a very good artist local to me, who is usually booked up for 9 months minimum.

Talk to local people who have had good quality artwork done, and be prepared to get a shock when you get a quote for the work!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

b16mts

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love a tattoo, but haven't the bottle to get one for life. My little bit of something different was getting my Tongue pierced about 10 years ago. If I decide one day, and can take it out and it should heal within days.

Still want a tat though!

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

iank

posted on 1/8/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by iank

such as 'show your uniqueness with a tattoo, just like everyone else'

I was thinking more of the 'how dare you mutilate your body, you'll lose your job and become a social pariah" but yours has the benefit of having some humour

One thing I remember from a previous thread is if you see a stencil in the tattooists premises run like the wind.

Ninehigh

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
The method I did was to get the picture and hang it up somewhere prominent. Give it 6 months or so (at least) and then see if you still want it having looked at it daily.

Didn't get it in the end...

JoelP

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
it would have to be a comedy one for me, maybe chinese saying 'kung po chicken with boiled rice', since its my favourite dish.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

RAYLEE29

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have just 3 but all my own designs (sort of) as my favorite is actually a troy lee design from the back of my old scot russel helmet but adjusted slightly wanted it two years before getting it.
second fav is my tribal(ish)band done 10 years ago this was my own design but the lad messed up so his boss had to spend hours freehand redoing it
main thing is to know you really want it and dont get one from the cards on display unless you want to see your tat on everyone else in town lol
theres so many people around here with the same Ray of boscombe panther its such a joke inmo
Ray

scootz

posted on 1/8/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
it would have to be a comedy one for me, maybe chinese saying 'kung po chicken with boiled rice', since its my favourite dish.

I never really understood the 'fashion' for chinese / japanese / arabic calligraphy on non chinese / japanese / arabic folk...

I remember when I was a kid walking into the local tattoo shop and asking for a Harley Davidson badge tattoo. The tattooist said, "do you have a Harley Davidson?". I answered, "no". He then asked, "have you ever had a Harley Davidson?". Again I answered, "no". "Then don't be so ******* stupid", was his reply!

It certainly made me think hard about what markings I want to put on my body.

As mentioned before - think about what you want, why you want it, and then WAIT! See how you feel about it in a couple of months, then decide.

And do your research on the artist... !!!

It's Evolution Baby!

Stott

posted on 1/8/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by couch22k
Had my 3rd sitting yesturday on my Jap half sleeve. 3 Guys in Belper Derbyshire, really good work. I was looking for a tattoist for about a year. If you can make it there's a tattoo convention at Doncaster racecoarse next week end. The lads who did mine Monki Do will be ther as well as alot more of the best tattoist in the country.

Hope this helps

Steve

Wow, that sounds like it would hurt

sorens2

posted on 1/8/10 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I only have one.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 1/8/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
I only have one.

Soren S2

Yeah, but it's 2010 now, so needs updating

I know, you're prob waiting for your best ever time! Get it done in quarters of the year

sorens2

posted on 1/8/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
There is a new time this year.
8:08
But there is also one more trip.....

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 2/8/10 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently had one after a 30 year gap since my 1st one.
I'm not going to explain what it means, but it has significance to me. Took me 2 years to choose and decide before having done.
My advice is to find what you want then find the correct artist to do it no matter what it costs.

Description
Description

Angel Acevedo

posted on 2/8/10 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
Rather than having a type of tatoo in mind, I think you should work on something that has meaning to you, then develop the idea into a graphic that will be with you for quite some time.
Make sure you are proud to explain the meaning of your tatoo whenever you are asked.
My dad grew up in a time where tatoos were considered for the (as stated above) pariahs, so I have a hard time trying to make him understand that my two tatoos are not there for fashion or looks but because they mean something to me and they will always will.

[Edited on 8/2/2010 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.