Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Aries Motorsports and CAD archive.
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/8/10 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Aries Motorsports and CAD archive.

Hi all, I'm a new member so sorry if this is in the wrong place or has already been covered, please dont go mental like the lunatics/wierdos on Pistonheads and other forums.

Anyway I've decided to build a bike engine '7' and I'm leaning towards an Aries Motorsport LocoBlade and have just a couple of inital questions.

Does anybody know if the Aries Motorsports cars use the standard 'Locost' suspension geometry at the front?

Obviously the rear being double wishbone is not 'locost' but does anyone know what the geometry is based on? or am I wrong on this?

Secondly does anyone know of/run/have a link to an archive of drawings or CAD models of things like wishbones/uprights/roll hoops etc?

I would like to be able to look at drawing and CAD so I can fabricate my own parts and do some development myself.

Cheers

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/8/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse
Plenty of lunatics and weirdos here too but in a good way.

Not sure how much help i'll be but someone will be along to help soon.

Looking at the pictures on their site it would appear the car has mk3 tina front uprights and sierra rear hubs in a fabricated upright + sierra diff.

The front suspension looks 'locostish', Chris Gibbs haynes roadster book has all the plans to build your own irs and front suspension if your interested, all based on a single sierra donor

I am not sure if there is a central bank of CAD files though it has been talked about many times. There are bit and pieces floating around everywhere.

That Aries car looks very familiar, did it used to be called something else? Shawspeed ????

[Edited on 7/8/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nick205

posted on 7/8/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Aries ne Stuart Taylor

IIRC you can have it in live axle ot IRS form (may be wrong though).

Have you slso looked at Procomp's LA Locost? worth investigating if you haven't.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 8/8/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a quick look at the LA Locost, seems good but quite pricey.

I like the idea of an Aries for a number of reasons, it's competetively priced, allows room for some development and Steve was really genuine and helpful.

If anyone has any links to any useful drawings or CAD files then it would be much appreciated, particularly suspension and and drivetrain mountings.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 9/8/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

"I've had a quick look at the LA Locost, seems good but quite pricey."

Yep but then it doesn't need the chassis cutting and re straightening. Or the rest of it sorting. It is good to go and win races straight out the box. But there's the problem. I only sell them to those that are serious about building them to go race or road and trackday seriously also.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Alright mate, dont get your knickers in a twist. Calm down have a cup of tea and stop acting like and internet loon.

I have actually been trying to decide between price vs quality and whether to go the other way and save longer and spend a little more... now the decision seems a whole lot easier as I wouldn't want to by from someone who rants at people on the internet making simple observations.

Nice work

procomp

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Didn't see any ranting mate. Just agreeing with you on the fact that the LA Locost is more expensive and giving you the reason why. If you want simple observations take a tape rule with you and go measuring wheelbase dims on either side of demo cars of various manufacturers when you have a look.

The only other issue is that i only sell the LA Locost to competitors in the Locost Championship. For anything else i sell the LA Gold. Mind that costs a bit more than the LA locost but again there's a very good reason why.

Cheers Matt

PS. Just in case people think i am having a go at Aries. It is the only Locost / cheaper end of the market Seven that i actually recommend.

[Edited on 9/8/10 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/8/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

PS. Just in case people think i am having a go at Aries. It is the only Locost / cheaper end of the market Seven that i actually recommend.

So why in your first post did you suggest that the Aries chassis would need cutting and re-straightening? And don't say it was a general criticism of Locost as Aries was the only chassis mentioned by myself.

Uuuh can't actually be bothered to debate, you clearly have a bee in your bonnet and are spouting about things irrelevant to the topic.

As someone new to the Locost/7/BEC scene I can say that you have given me a very bad impression of your company.

Richard Quinn

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Going back to your original post:
I don't think that the Aries front end is quite "book" as I compared the measurements to the RC book when I was going to get some new wishbones fabricated. I guess, unless someone has drawn their own up, the only drawings are probably the property of Aries and I doubt that they would be available for general distribution.
As for the back end on the Locoblade (IRS), well it consists of fabricated upper and lower arms with a fabricated upright with a Sierra bearing carrier bolted on. I would doubt that it is based on anything other than some drawings.
With respect to Procomp's comment regarding their cars being straight and others needing remedial work but recommending the Aries as a low-end chassis... It doesn't mean that it is perfect.

procomp

posted on 10/8/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Why did i say the Aries chassis needs straightening. Well that's because it has jigging problems from left to right.

I cant be bothered. well if you where to calm down i might be bothered but you clearly have an issue with a direct reply to you statement above. And now this thread is going no where so ill leave it at that.

Bad impression. Well i guess a no BS direct to the point attitude does upset some. But it does ensure that the product sold and service is also no BS.

Best of luck with your project.

Cheers Matt

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/8/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yawn, I only say it like I see it. You certainly know how to put people off.
typ17

posted on 17/8/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi everyone,

First post just here but there is a reason, I'm also thinking of buying a Aries and was very surprised with the comments.

I am still making my initial research but I had a drive in STM locoblade and really liked it.

Anyway 3 things:

-thank you for the help in future posts
-pardon my english but i'm from Portugal
-procomp - any real knowledge to make those statements(examples). And any opinions on other builders for the same money.

Regards

J.M.A.

procomp

posted on 19/8/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The chassis jigs are not accurate. The chassis will have either 10-15 mm difference from one side to the other depending on witch jig the chassis came from.
However as i have said of the Book chassis on sale in the general market the Aries is the better one available. And is the one i recommend on the budget level compared to the others available on general sale. It has better suspension geometry and all small problems can be overcome.

Other than that just buy a Westfield.

Cheers Matt

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/8/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
10-15mm! thats not a jig its a barn floor, 1.0 - 1.5mm might be acceptable at a push but not half an inch

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

procomp

posted on 19/8/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yep that's right. But believe it or not that's better than the majority of kit manufacturers. And people wonder why i go on about chassis accuracies and wheelbase differences and ask people to get a tape rule out and have a measure of there cars and also manufacturers demo cars.

Cheers Matt

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/8/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Matt,

I am staggered, I have been welding things in jigs for years and the widest limits I have ever known is 40 thou" - I checked my own chassis with trammels at every welding stage and kept the tolerances at less than 1mm.

Even production car repair tolerances are less than 4mm in non critical areas and 2mm in suspension pickups.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

procomp

posted on 19/8/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Like i say people wonder why i keep going on about it. It's also why even when some of these manufacturers use jigs for front suspension they cant get castor to be within 3 degrees on either side. !!! And that's visible by eye no tape rule needed.

Cheers Matt

Strontium Dog

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
It does not take a lot of inaccuracy at a suspension mounting point to generate 15mm of error at the outer edge of a wheel rim!

Could even be a bit of one side error forward and the other is error rear! Then there's the wishbones of course...................!

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/8/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
It does not take a lot of inaccuracy at a suspension mounting point to generate 15mm of error at the outer edge of a wheel rim!

Could even be a bit of one side error forward and the other is error rear! Then there's the wishbones of course...................!

It's not rocket science to get it right either, I didn't use a jig and I got my castor to 15' of target. I have a Hunter 4 wheel alignment system at work which is convenient

phelpsa

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think we're getting a bit pernickerty here.

I dont want to put words in Matts mouth but my interpretation of what he wrote (and what he said to me when I was at his workshop) was that with an Aries chassis one or two have been know to be 'bent' whereas Matt won't let one out of his sight unless he knows its spot on. Whether or not this is true I have no evidence of, all I can say is that my Aries chassis has caused no issues and Matt was able to do a full alignment with no major issues.

Having had a good look at one of Matts cars I can say that it is noticeably of a higher standard than the Aries one, but Matt will take the best part of £2k off you for a fully caged chassis where Steve will have £800.

I am happy that I got what I paid for with my Aries chassis and I'm sure Matt's customers are happy with theirs.

I'll have a measure for you on the wishbone front over the weekend if you'd like?

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Adam posting after 10pm - must be school holidays!

phelpsa

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Adam posting after 10pm - must be school holidays!

Catch up Mark, i'm a big boy now since starting uni I don't sleep before dawn, you're lucky to see me before 10pm!

[Edited on 19-8-10 by phelpsa]

interestedparty

posted on 20/8/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Matt will take the best part of £2k off you for a fully caged chassis

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

procomp

posted on 20/8/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

2k for a chassis. That is definitely putting words in my mouth. 2K it what it would have cost me per chassis to have them made by one of the UK's leading chassis manufacturers. Lol

Think you may find by running through our price list that our race Locost kit package is Less than £600 dearer like for like.

Cheers Matt

40inches

posted on 20/8/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looking back at all the problems I have had getting the wishbones to fit, never mind getting them to point in the right direction, I think some manufactures have got the words symmetrical and asymmetrical the wrong way round.
10-15mm? I wish

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.