Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Frustration of trying to get the road legal bit.
bigpig

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Frustration of trying to get the road legal bit.

Well its been emotional. 3 years in. Arranged with one kit finishing company to do the final completion, but got given the run around (felt they messed me around to force me to gave up rather than just say they can't do it). Got all enthusiastic about the second attempt, was told it shouldn't take too long but would need at least a month. Now its looking to be several months. Really got fed up to tell you the truth.

At least at Retro Power they are honest and say they are solidly booked up until after xmas.

The end result is I've now bought a trailer. At least this way I can get the transportation for wheel alignment, IVA, IVA retest, DVLA e.t.c all sorted.
So I got one of the bay which I can at least sell on to someone who wants a trailer after once I've got all legal (or keep and use the missus as my cheap vehicle recovery service ).

OK not cheap, but it was that or finally throw the towel in and sell the kit. At least this way I can throw it at the IVA and get a to do list.

cd.thomson

posted on 15/8/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
good luck mate, I'm sure plenty of people on here know exactly how you feel.

I'm feeling similarly frustrated with it at the minute. It's got to the point where I'm probably going to sell it soon after its road legal just because its caused me so many problems!

Craig

skibikejohn

posted on 16/8/10 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
When you get it finished and drive it you'll forget you every had ideas of giving up.
Remember you started building so you could drive it.

RK

posted on 16/8/10 at 02:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, once you drive it at a track day or autoslalom or whatever, you'll forget all about the road for now. It's worth it. I have seen the light. Do NOT give in to them.

http://www.tanneymotorsport.com/gallery2/v/CAC2010/CAC2010Day1/2010_08_07-CACDay1_0311-web.jpg.html

[Edited on 16/8/10 by RK]

adithorp

posted on 16/8/10 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Don't give up!

How much is there left to do? Just make a list of the bits you know about. Don't be too specific, ie edge trim front, edge trim cockpit. Then set about them and cross them off the list. Each time you get chance to work on the car decide what you're going to get done; Don't be over ambitious, set small targets. It might seem like a long list but it's very satisfying scribling them out. Soon get it sorted for IVA.

First drive WILL make it all worth it.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/8/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have used a couple of companies to do work for me on the kit, on the whole I have been very pleased, but you need to be aware that the industry attracts a lot of hopeless business people, it's just not there forte. I never had any problems to speak of, but have heard from lots of others that backs this point up.

A very honest company told me it wasn't worth there time doing the sva stuff, it would cos me a ridiculous amount and be better done myself. So that is what I did.

I'm a busy guy and didn't really have time, but I slogged away at it and managed it in the end.

It is doable.

I

panichat

posted on 16/8/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Kit busters

Met John Butler from Vindicator Cars when my car was having its IVA test (he was getting a Lexus engined monster tested). He seemed like a decent bloke and he mentioned a kit finishing service that they do called "Kit Busters". They are based in Cradley, West Midlands. They might be worth contacting?
07703 289833 info@vindicator.co.uk

Good luck
Dave

bigpig

posted on 16/8/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Feeling a little better with it all now, just on one of those moments where I feel like giving up. I think its going to be ace when I've got it done, but its been 50/50 enjoy, absolute hate process. Thanks for the encouragement. I think once its on the road and can tinker (i.e. respray) I will be much happier.

To be honest it feels worse than when I went for my driving test (but then that took 2 years of on/off lessons including one instructor passing away and another having their car written off by a driver who sneezed). I'l love it be be as good as that as I passed first time

I think the plan is now:
-Get the corner weights sorted
-Take the car for wheel alignment, emissions and hopefully brakes at the local garage
-Get the inevitable failure list.
-Depending on the failure list, do it myself or get someone to sort the final bits
-Suffer the woes of registration
-Sell the trailer on to the next person who wants one.

The good think was I sent off photos of my build to MK who went though them and listed only a few minor points + one biggie. The biggie was that my seats wouldn't work as I used spaces to raise the belt mounts and the seat belt through holes were too high. One set of bucket GRP seats with carbon fibre inserts later that is sorted.

It also helps I found a friend lives very near to the Notts test centre, so I can have a stop for a cupper after the build

And to round it off, all my mates went to the big airsoft game at Copehill Down, I didn't get to go and I'm spending the bank holiday working on the testing for the new site backup generator.

Benzine

posted on 16/8/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, I'm in leicestershire, I built an MK with 2.0 pinto in, let me know if you need a hand with anything ^_^

You into airsoft? I am but I've not been for a couple of years now

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigpig

posted on 17/8/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Thanks I could probably do with a sanity check on some bits. I think once the trailer is sorted, I'd love some advice on the testing malarky.

Yeah I've been playing for about 3 years now, mostly at Grange Farm & Delta Point, but a new site has opened at the old shoe factory near Welford Road, fantastic place.

MikeR

posted on 17/8/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you update your location to somewhere a little narrower, you may find there is an owner or two living around the corner who can help with things / laughing at your mistakes (technically that is classed as motivation).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.