Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: N/A Cosworth on bike carbs
Craigorypeck

posted on 22/8/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
N/A Cosworth on bike carbs

Hi All. nasping a YB cossie and the twin 45 route is expensive, £400 + at least. Anyone had good results on bike carbing one of these? Tried a search but it bringing up nothing.
Would 38mm chokes be ok? Have SRAD 600 carbs got 38s??
Thanks

omega0684

posted on 22/8/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
i would say that if you are going to be shelling out for a cossie then you should be doing the job right! Get some 45 Jenveys on it if your going down the N/A route!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 22/8/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there.
I would be looking at Blackbird 42mm carbs to ensure better potential from your cossie.
Or as an alternative, look at these....

48mm carbs LINKY

Geoff.

[Edited on 22/8/10 by SPYDER]

skibikejohn

posted on 22/8/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
On my Yb I am using Dellorto 45s and find them a joy to tune (but I like fiddling). I would be wary of the Solex carbs unless you are sure you can readily get jets etc.
RAYLEE29

posted on 22/8/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, theres a lot more to it than just bolting on some carbs youll need a rebore and pistons first then a set of cams then a suitable induction system and new exhaust and a new ignition system
its actually cheaper to keep the turbo
youd be better off selling it and getting a duratec if you havent got lots to spend
Ray

2cv

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote: youd be better off selling it and getting a duratec if you havent got lots to spend Ray

Good advice, I'd second that.

Craigorypeck

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have the engine pistoned to 12:1 comp, megajolt from my current pinto will be transplanted over, cams are non turbo fast road newmans.

The engine was pretty cheap but didn't have turbo, injectors, ecu I also would need a swirl pot and uprated pump and intercooler.

I sold the turbo pistons, in and out manifold so when I sell the pinto I'll not to far above breaking even!!! Unless I go for a massive port job of course..
I have the usual case of budgetitis.. so jenvey are out.

Heard that bike carbs are a really good alt to trad sides??? Boggs said anything over a 40 choke isn't advisable. I have DHLA 40s on my pinto now and They are better than DCOEs.
Just fancied something a bit different, I like to fiddle too!

This is my everyday drive lol! Capri BTW

Craigorypeck

posted on 22/8/10 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Also whats this dynotuned craic all about??
I'm not after race car performance, just something I can drive knowing I built it and its capabilities when I plant it.. I heard LB was thee place when it comes to bike carbs on 4 pots.

[Edited on 22/8/10 by Craigorypeck]

RAYLEE29

posted on 23/8/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
well in that case the best way to size the carbs is to think of a realistic power output that you can expect to acheive then get a set of carbs from a bike with simillar output
so gsxr 600 carbs would be a little small for your set up perhaps some r1 carbs or tb's and a mega squirt
Ray
oh my gsxr carbs and manifold cost me less than £50 but i did make my own manifold

Craigorypeck

posted on 23/8/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, so 750cc carbs would be more suitable?
Craigorypeck

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
So after a bit of hunting I have a set of ZX9Rs.
What exactly do I need to do to get these working well on my 16v?
They come with new 180mm main jets (and original size jets too). what needs to happen with the needle?
I'm in the process of trying to sort a manifold so what angle should they be fitted at? I know boggs would do all this but I cant afford and appreciate any info you have to get me running well so when I get to the rollers I'm 90% there!
Ta

FASTdan

posted on 8/9/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
25-30 degrees seems to work well for ZX9's

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Craigorypeck

posted on 8/9/10 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou Dan
Nash

posted on 8/9/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have a related question on this thread. The rumour mill suggests going from 600cc to 1000cc T/B's does not necassarily equate to improved performance as you lose velocity through the body due to its bigger size. I can see the logic as long as the 600 is sized to the inlet and capacity of the bore?

Is this fiction or does anyone actually know?

.....Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

atspeed racing

posted on 9/9/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
For a road vehicle it is sometimes better to carb a little on the small size, this will give you a much better drive. This is why a 2.0 pinto drives well on a small choke 40 dcoe. You do sacrifice top end power going down this route.
But.....with a CD type carb such as the bike carb, it is not so important to get the choke size so accurate as you have a constant variable choke.
Always go a little smaller for a road car if you have a choise as it will drive much better.

[Edited on 9/9/10 by atspeed racing]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Craigorypeck

posted on 9/9/10 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Will 40mm chokes be ok as an all rounder on a 16v with fast road cams?
atspeed racing

posted on 9/9/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craigorypeck
Will 40mm chokes be ok as an all rounder on a 16v with fast road cams?

All depends on the engine spec and what you hope to get out of it.
If you want a nice easy car to drive with good fuel consumption that will pull from very low RPM on wide open throttle then put small chokes in, say about 34mm. You will suffer at the top end with chokes this small, but would be a nice car to drive around in, if its power you are after then go for 38/40mm chokes.
Sometimes people are suprised how much power you can get from a small carb! Remember it is not always about the big number for a road car.

Craigorypeck

posted on 9/9/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'll give these a go and i can always go smaller as they are cheap anyways. Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.