Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ali Welder Needed For Small Job
oliwb

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ali Welder Needed For Small Job

Okay, have tried the local resources and none have been able/willing to help. Just looking for someboady who can weld a couple of new brackets onto a mountain bike frame. Beer tokens waiting for anyone who can oblidge....Oh and don't worry I won't hold anyone liable if they do it and then it breaks (its allready been welded once and snapped again.....grrrr!). Will try and attach some pictures. U2U or e-mail me if you can help me out. I can post down and pay for postage back to me plus your time.....Thanks.

Bike Frame 2
Bike Frame 2

Bike Frame 1
Bike Frame 1

Bike Frame 3
Bike Frame 3

Bike Frame 5
Bike Frame 5

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
cant you rivet them on?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Welding bike tubes is (apparently - never done it) something of a skill in its own right....

Might want to ask anyone who volunteers to help if they've done it before!

Chris

ETA - actually, looking at the pictures, the weld hasn't gone, rather the bracket, which should make it easier to weld, but if it went once, unless you make it stronger, it will go again...

[Edited on 23/8/10 by chrsgrain]

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Davey D

posted on 23/8/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
it would be a much better/stronger job, and easier for the fabricator to cut off the remainder of the bracket, make a new one out of slightly thicker material without the extra holes in it that are obviously weak points, and weld that in place instead.

you will have a real game trying to weld up the 3 small places where it has snapped

oliwb

posted on 23/8/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I am hoping someone can lop off the two brackets and make two new ones out of either the same thickness of material or slightly thicker. The company that welded it first time round have gone bust. I'm not sure why they saw fit to cut the holes in the plates! That is why they have gone - not because of the weld or thickness of material.
The Ali is 6062 (according to the sticker on the frame) and will be a high-grade alloy so should be free of most impurities. As far as I am aware this shouldn't prevent any problem when welding and doesn't make it any harder to do than anything else. I have an AC/DC Tig but it is in storage, I have no gas and I can wled Steel no problem but only ever managed to weld some thick (>6mm) ali plates together. I just burnt holes in the think stuff so need someone more skillful! Thanks,

Oh and no I don't think Rivets would be good enough....wouldn't want to risk doing damage to other components if they failed....

[Edited on 23/8/10 by oliwb]

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

Wadders

posted on 23/8/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Check first, but i think 6062 might need post weld heat treatment.

Al

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.