Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iphone v Android
Jasper

posted on 3/9/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Iphone v Android

Well, I've currently got the dubious pleasure of setting up an Android phone, HTC Legend, for my Dad before he gets back off holiday. I'm 3 days in and I still haven't managed to get the Apps Market working despite many attempts and 4 calls to Vodafone.

So anybody who reckons these things are as good as an iPhone obviously haven't used an iPhone. My mum could set up and use an iPhone and download a few apps, I'm fairly computer/mobile savvy and it's already driving me completely nuts. Thank god I don't have to use the thing once it's set up.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/9/10 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Android Market almost always works for me. It must be you!

mikeb

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I just clicked the android market option on my HTC Desire, easy. Ring vodafone and tell them the phone hasn't been set up!!
My phone rocks cost a lot less than the expense Iphone and does everything, I'd rate it as a bit better than an iphone 3gs but probably not quite an iphone 4 but at least you can make calls!

RazMan

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't understand why you are having problems - market just works. What do you mean by set up?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an HTC Legend. Never had a problem with the Apps Market, worked straight out of the box.

What's not working ? / What errors do you get ?

Edit:

Ok, I lied. Just tried it and it didn't want to load. Threw some network connection error. Connected via Wifi and it was happy. Disconnected WiFi and tried again via Vodafone and working now. Weird

[Edited on 3/9/2010 by TimEllershaw]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
mine works easy on Orange. Must be you

Seriously - a mate of mine had a similar sounding problem and a factory reset sorted it.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Jasper

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I click the Market icon, it asks me to sign into a gmail account, so I went and created one as I didn't have one, then went back into it to sign in and it then tries to connect to the google server and doesn't, just tells me I don't have a reliable data connection, even though I've connected it via wifi and my router is two feet away and I'm connected fine..

Just been onto the HTC tech help, they've just got me to do a factory reset, so now I've got to set it all up again and give it another go.

Given up now and going home, I'll try it again tomorrow.

pinto

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have htc legend
Works great (out the box and of you go )
sounds like you might have a duff one
Love the phone good working apps
Like full working sat nav (for free )

TimEllershaw

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I click the Market icon, it asks me to sign into a gmail account, so I went and created one as I didn't have one, then went back into it to sign in and it then tries to connect to the google server and doesn't, just tells me I don't have a reliable data connection, even though I've connected it via wifi and my router is two feet away and I'm connected fine..

Just been onto the HTC tech help, they've just got me to do a factory reset, so now I've got to set it all up again and give it another go.

Given up now and going home, I'll try it again tomorrow.

A bit of googling suggests you are not the only one with this problem. A factory reset or clearing the data from the Google apps cache seems to be the usual response. Must be a problem in the way it stores the GMail credentials.

All very frustrating, but don't give up.
Good Luck !!

Benzine

posted on 3/9/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 3/9/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 3/9/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ HAHAHAHAHA
ashg

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
i have got a htc desire its 100 times better than the piece of crap i phone 4 that i had for a week.

market worked from day one. just updated the it to 2.2 software and its even better wouldn't swap it for any other phone currently on the market.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

SeaBass

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i have got a htc desire its 100 times better than the piece of crap i phone 4 that i had for a week.

market worked from day one. just updated the it to 2.2 software and its even better wouldn't swap it for any other phone currently on the market.

Same here. Yee ha!

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have A I phone 4 and don't understand why people have problems with them never have a problem with mine

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

pinto

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think its more price
and the way they lock you into there product

gottabedone

posted on 3/9/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
...........HTC Desire here and it's great!

Market worked out of the box!

Stick with it because the Android phones are great. The iphone is a marmite phone - Wifey is on her second and swears by them - I swear at them

Steve

40inches

posted on 3/9/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
2 t-mobile G2 (HTC Hero) here, after they updated to Android 2.1 one accessed market place OK, the other needed a call to t-mobile to activate it, took less than a minute.
StrikerChris

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
HTC desire here too,didn't set anything up,just clicked the market and started playing with the apps,(currently addicted to Google sky and I've never been bothered about stars before!)
When I got my 3gs last year I had I had to register and set up accounts and pay for anything worth having!
Each to their own tho,they'll all be out of date next month!

cerbera

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
A friend had a similar problem on his HTC Wildfire. We fixed it by restoring to factory setting then during the first start (when you configure everything) up we created a brand new google mail account.

HTH

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/9/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
HTC Hero - everything worked straight out the box inc Marketplace?

PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/9/10 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Nexus one & its IMO its better in almost every way than IP4
Jasper

posted on 4/9/10 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah - the problem was trying to set up a Google account after trying to access the market place. A factory rest has sorted it, and now it's working.

Still don't think it's a patch on my 3GS, but each to their own!!

Looks like a BEC v CEC arguement to me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.