New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 07/08 r1 engine mods etc
Kev99

posted on 9/9/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
07/08 r1 engine mods etc

HI all

What mods dose the R1 07/08 Engine need
And what is the problems I'm likely to get with the wiring etc

(Security system etc ) is it just the key and cdi or do I need the clocks?

Kev....

StevieB

posted on 9/9/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would think the only mods you need are sump baffle, power commander and speedo healer.

Personally, I'd stick with the standard clocks as they're already very good with an intergral shift light and certainly as good as any after market digi dash and are nie and easy to wire up (plus you get all the fault code readings from the ecu)

[Edited on 9/9/10 by StevieB]

Andy B

posted on 9/9/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
07-08 R1 will need baffle plate, power commander and also breather mods as it is prone to spitting its oil out. Most importantly it will need a well designed exhaust as we have experienced problems with them detonating and burning a hole between 2 and 3 cylinders. The damage exhibits itself as a burn hole, usually half in the head and half in the barrels. I know of 11 cases of this and in fact 2 guys running Global lights in bikesports experienced 4 such failures between them, adding fuel to the map seems to increase the length of time before it happens as you would expect but inevitably the end result was a failure. The common factor in at least 8 of the cases was a really poorly designed exhaust system, dramatically different length primary pipes and small bore as well. The one car that continues to run on this engine in the RGB series has a properly designed pipe and so far seems fine.
If you would like more details on the breather mods etc - give me a call at the unit on 01449 736633
best regards
Andy

MK9R

posted on 10/9/10 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
beat me to it Andy

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 10/9/10 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
The guys in the global lights continue to have engine problems even with a new exhaust with matched primaries (there is a long discussion on the DSR forum about this). Certainly Paul Rickers engine blow up was not caused by unequal primaries as I know they were built properly :-)

The consensus is that they are getting a lean condition on the engine and/or localised boiling between cylinders 2 and 3 due to poor cooling circulation in that area. The issue seems to be specific to their installation, but until the answer is found it could be an issue that other people suffer from. One guy is on his 10th engine..... Stupid if you ask me he should have swapped to a gixxer by now

Certainly people should do the engine breather mods as Andy suggests and ensure they have adequate cooling system for the engine. Converting the throttle bodies to run constant pressure fuel (not vacuum controllled) would probably also help ensure correct AFR when running at all times.

I am sure the answer will be found eventually, its just a matter of time....

- Paul

[Edited on 10/9/10 by progers]

hobbsy

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
10th engine with 9x the same failure!!!
ko_racer

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately yes 10 engines, not all in one car though.

It's not that we've not tried to fix it each time though.

The most recent car has a properly designed exhaust system too.

It seems what we've done just hasn't fixed it. I've only got a couple ideas left now (and no money) and one of those involves a chain saw and dynamite!

I've has some contact with a team who used to run a Jedi with this engine and they initially had this problem. Have got a few suggestions from them too.

[Edited on 10/9/10 by ko_racer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ko_racer

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
One guy is on his 10th engine..... Stupid if you ask me he should have swapped to a gixxer by now

Stupid.... possibly, but what's to say the gixxer doesn't do the same?? It's not a cheap option to swap either, it's not just the engine kit.

progers

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer
quote:
One guy is on his 10th engine..... Stupid if you ask me he should have swapped to a gixxer by now

Stupid.... possibly, but what's to say the gixxer doesn't do the same?? It's not a cheap option to swap either, it's not just the engine kit.

Sorry mate - no offence intended, in some respects I admire your staying power. I would have given up a gone a more proven route by now. The quote was more for Andy B as we have been discussing the merits of various engines between us....

The gixxer is the deafult engine used in the US for sportsracers and formula 1000 (single seater) race cars. People know it inside out there and know its frailties and how to get them working. A much safer bet IMHO and why I will be putting one in my RGB racecar for next year. Hopefully I won't live to regret it ! The ZX10 is also a reliable lump, again well used and better understood than the 07/08 R1.

- Paul

[Edited on 10/9/10 by progers]

Kev99

posted on 10/9/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to u all for replying

I think u have all made me decided to leave the 07-08 R1 alone and look at the 04-06 engine

I know this will need the breather mod etc but is there any other major problems for this engine like there is on the 07-08 ?

Kev..........

ko_racer

posted on 10/9/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
The 5VY we are having problems with is the 04-06. The 07 to 08 is very similar expect it has only 16 valves. We have seen this problem on this engine too.
progers

posted on 10/9/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
The 04-06 motors are very similar (07/08 just went to a 4 valve head Vs the 5 valve head of the earlier motor) so you will still need to do the breather mods and be wary of overheating the engine. I also think that many of the failures reported above were on the earlier 04-06 engine.

Don't forget that the discussion above is also related to race cars were the engine is on full throttle/high revs alot more than a normal road biased kitcar. So the issues raised may not be so applicable to you.

On the plus side the earlier engines have simpler intake system and electronics.

Regards

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.